Can you spoil your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Eggie and Me, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    [​IMG] These are a 6 of our 7 girls. Is there such a thing as spoiling your chickens? Ours are 9 wks old and anytime they see me they go crazy. In an extremely friendly way. [​IMG] This pic is their FIRST time to roam MY yard. Mind you they have their own, just no access to "their" veggies.

2. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    there probably is such a thing:/....are the red ones road island reds??[​IMG]

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Yes. And I do regularly!!!

Edited to add: Is any of your herb garden left? I can't believe a leaf of that basil remains!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  4. kent318

kent318 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    ha ha I think mine are spoiled to they always think I have food for them.lovely chikens I have golden comets and two white roosters that I don't know what they are.

5. Eggie and Me

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:Yes they're reds, we have 4 and 3 Barred Rocks.. Absolutely IN LOVE!!![​IMG]

6. Eggie and Me

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:OH YEAH! they went crazy for the Basil, they especially like carrot tops and radish tops... We only let them FREE FEED in the garden for about 15 minutes, then they ON THEIR OWN went back to their yard for a nap. Way to cute... [​IMG]

7. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I spoil them rotten and love every minute of it!!!
    [​IMG]

8. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Guilty here, too. [​IMG] Mine are 10 days old and they are so responsive to my voice it's hard not to indulge them.

Your birds are lovely.

9. Eggie and Me

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:10 days is so great. What ever you do don't blink. They just change so darn fast. Thank you, [​IMG] I was really concerned at about 6 weeks they were just so funny looking. Pin feathers, regular feathers and then that cute fuzzy stuff... And here we are 9 wks and they really are chickens. [​IMG]

10. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    I agree about how fast they grow! I have NEVER seen an animal change as much from one day to the next as do chicks! We have 18 one month olds and I swear if I could watch them non stop I would see the feathers change before my eyes!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by