Can you spot a Hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nlyles, Jul 25, 2010.

1. nlyles

nlyles Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    As stated in another post we are very new to raising chickens. I think the guy my husband bought these from gave us all roosters with the exception of maybe 1 or 2. We knew we had one and he is the oldest but as the others are maturing and the more I've been reading etc I think we got a bunch of roo's.Out of 12 I am guessing 10 are roo's. So you experts if you will please take a look at the pics below and see if you can spot a hen. I did the best I could at their pics. When I go out there they start chasing me for food (since I've been hand feeding them a lot) so I threw some food on the ground and tried to snap away. Thank you

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dparadise

dparadise Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    southwest Florida
    How old are they? It's easier to tell knowing the age.

3. nlyles

Jul 8, 2010
    I'm not sure. The man said they were 4 months old three weeks ago but i think they may have been younger than that. esp the way they have grown since we got them.

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Not the expert but I'd say pic #1 far left pullet, center roo, right roo
    Pic# 2 I'd say pullet
    last pic left upper corner roo
    Pic 3&4 are difficult, I'd say some of those are pullets...m maybe the one in the middle a roo? they look like ?? RIR's from hatchery stock, see some combs but not a lot of wattles on them. If those are 4 months old I would expect more comb/wattles on them. Can you get better pics????

5. nlyles

Jul 8, 2010
    I'll have to try later. First thing this morning was not a good time but that's kind of what I was thinking

6. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I see 4 pullets and 6 roos. Not totally positive though..

7. dparadise

dparadise Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    southwest Florida
    In pic 1 I'd say the one in the middle looks like a roo. In 2 I'm not sure and in pic 3, I'd say 1 pullet for sure but I'm not sure about the one on the far right. In pic 4 the barred at the very top left looks like a roo to me, the others could be pullets but at their approximate age it's hard to tell for sure. I'd say that they are younger then he said, in which case I'd say that the one in the center of the pic is a pullet.

I'm not an expert by any means but I'm comparing them to the ones I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by