Can you spot our roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mentallygone, Aug 11, 2011.

1. mentallygone

mentallygone New Egg

May 5, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    Hello, I hope i am not breaking any rules being a newbie and posting pictures. I tried to be as thorough as I can with my questions about the genders in our flock.

We're having some difficulty determining which of our flock are turning out to be roos.

We started off with a Buff Orpinton, two silver laced Wyandottes, and a golden Polish. With the exception of the Polish which came from straight run, the other three were supposed to be hens. These four are 4.5 months old at present.

A little later on, we added two more polish - a buff and a golden to the flock. These two are 1.5 months old at present. Here's where we are at:

It's clear that the older Polish is a roo as he crows like crazy, but it seems that our Buff might be a roo as (s)he started crowing 2 weeks ago and has gotten aggressive. The real uncertainty are with our Wyandottes as one of them seems to be growing longer tail feathers and the waddles seem a bit different. Neither wyandotte crows.

The two younger polish we're still uncertian, but when they are out with the older ones under supervision, the wyandottes like to chase after the white polish, but they largely ignore the other golden.

Thoughts?

(click for big)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

If it is crowing then it is a male.[​IMG]

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    The gold lace Polish in the first picture is a male. The big buff bird is also a male. The last two Polish are a bit young to tell but the gold laced one definitely looks female.

4. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    I'm going to guess:

The Golden Laced Polish in the first picture is a roo.
    The Buff is a roo.
    The SLW's are hens.
    The GL Polish that you are holding is a hen.
    The buff polish is a hen.

I hope this helps! You have beautiful chickens! [​IMG]

5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Quote:I agree. [​IMG]

6. mentallygone

mentallygone New Egg

May 5, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    Thank you!! [​IMG] I guess for now we'll keep going with what we have, and see what they do. The golden polish cockerel and the buff orp don't mind each other much. The Buff has always been top of the order and the golden at the bottom (until we got the other two polish). I know even with just the two, the hen/rooster ratio is a little low... hopefully they'll continue to be as peaceful as they are now.

7. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR

x3

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop