Can you start feeding medicated at 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Bought a few chicks from someone today who was not feeding medicated. He stated he was mixing "red cell" into their water instead. Can I begin feeding medicated feed at this stage?

2. garbagePaw

garbagePaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    I was instructed to feed medicated for the first few months. We got 5 chicks (days old) and I was told that I should get a large bag of medicated feed and when that was out, we could switch to regular with oyster shells and/or grit. I'm not sure what "red cell" is but I also picked up a vitamin/electrolyte mix to put in their water for a couple of weeks. It turns kind of orangey red. Could this be what you were told?

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I hope so. Switched my six week olds over about a week ago and haven't noticed any change. No ill effects.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sure you can. Most "medicated" feed merely has amprollium, a blocker, which allows the chicks to get traction on their immune system, so as not to be overwhelmed with cocci. Check the label, but most folks feed the medicated anywhere from 4 -16 weeks, depending on their own preference.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by