Can You Stop A Cat From Biting People?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
One of our seven cats, Nyx, bit my younger brother(18 yr old) earlier today which she ended up drawing blood and I was told by my mother that if she did it again, she's going to a new home.

I can't lose my cat as I raised her from day 1. She was born under my bed on April 9th 2017 so she's only 1 year old. She's only bitten me a few times when she was still a kitten and sometimes drew blood but she didn't know any better then and thought I was playing.

20170916_193214.jpg
IMG_20180123_090405.jpg

Any advice on getting her to stop will be very helpful!
Huge thanks in advance!

Also, I wanted to add that Nyx is a Norwegian Forest Cat mix. Her mother, Spooky, is a Domestic Shorthair(In 2nd pic).
And before you say anything about us needing to get Spooky spayed, I'm working on it. I just need a few more bucks and I'll be able to take her in to be spayed. Nyx will be next.

If you can find out how to stop making cats be jerks I think you could be a multi trillionaire..

Cats are jerks some more then other. Only thing that could help is u force it to snuggle with u more. Then it will be more affectionate to humans. So put it on ur lap, when she leaves grab her and put her back on your lap. U might even need to put your arm on her to hold her.

Or tell your brother to move out. That will fix the issue!:lau

If you can find out how to stop making cats be jerks I think you could be a multi trillionaire..

Cats are jerks some more then other. Only thing that could help is u force it to snuggle with u more. Then it will be more affectionate to humans. So put it on ur lap, when she leaves grab her and put her back on your lap. U might even need to put your arm on her to hold her.

Or tell your brother to move out. That will fix the issue!:lau

If my brother could, he would have already moved out :p

Unfortunately, if you let her bite you that hard in the past, she's learned already that it's okay. Cats bite when they get excited. Other cats yowl, hiss, and smack them when they bite too hard, then won't play with them any more for a while. That's how kittens learn how hard they can bite and have it be okay. Your best bet is to confine her to an area only you will be around her for the next several months, and overwrite the previous training that 'hard bites are okay'. It's never okay for a cat to bite hard enough to draw blood. It's better to never let them bite at all. I know, I have one who was taken from his litter too young - I got him from a shelter at about eight months old. He never learned how hard was okay, so I've spent the last year teaching him. Don't smack your cat. You aren't another cat. You are vastly stronger, and could hurt her rather than teaching her a lesson. Play with her, and as soon as she goes to bite you, immediately yell 'NO!' in a very loud, angry voice, and stop playing. Teach her that biting you is scary and disappointing, and that she should not put her mouth on you. Mine has gone from drawing blood every time he got touched to occasionally forgetting himself, starting to bite, and getting reprimanded for it.

Unfortunately, if you let her bite you that hard in the past, she's learned already that it's okay. Cats bite when they get excited. Other cats yowl, hiss, and smack them when they bite too hard, then won't play with them any more for a while. That's how kittens learn how hard they can bite and have it be okay. Your best bet is to confine her to an area only you will be around her for the next several months, and overwrite the previous training that 'hard bites are okay'. It's never okay for a cat to bite hard enough to draw blood. It's better to never let them bite at all. I know, I have one who was taken from his litter too young - I got him from a shelter at about eight months old. He never learned how hard was okay, so I've spent the last year teaching him. Don't smack your cat. You aren't another cat. You are vastly stronger, and could hurt her rather than teaching her a lesson. Play with her, and as soon as she goes to bite you, immediately yell 'NO!' in a very loud, angry voice, and stop playing. Teach her that biting you is scary and disappointing, and that she should not put her mouth on you. Mine has gone from drawing blood every time he got touched to occasionally forgetting himself, starting to bite, and getting reprimanded for it.

Thanks for the advice.

If you isolate your cat from other human interaction your cat will 100% be more aggressive towards strangers and not be friendly towards them!

the more interaction the better. With dogs cats bunnies chickens Ducks anything

Attachments

• 20180506_220510.jpg
    20180506_220510.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 8
One of our seven cats, Nyx, bit my younger brother(18 yr old) earlier today which she ended up drawing blood and I was told by my mother that if she did it again, she's going to a new home.

I can't lose my cat as I raised her from day 1. She was born under my bed on April 9th 2017 so she's only 1 year old. She's only bitten me a few times when she was still a kitten and sometimes drew blood but she didn't know any better then and thought I was playing.

View attachment 1412012 View attachment 1412013

Any advice on getting her to stop will be very helpful!
Huge thanks in advance!

Also, I wanted to add that Nyx is a Norwegian Forest Cat mix. Her mother, Spooky, is a Domestic Shorthair(In 2nd pic).
And before you say anything about us needing to get Spooky spayed, I'm working on it. I just need a few more bucks and I'll be able to take her in to be spayed. Nyx will be next.
Do you know if she's playing or being mean? Cats will also love bite. Whatever the case, something that may work is completely ignore the cat if they bite you. They may just be doing it for attention, positive or negative. Once you start ignoring them if that happens, they may get the idea that biting=no attention.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
She's sooo pretty! I do have a few questions. What was your brother doing before she bit him? When she bites what's the rest of her body showing you? Are her ears back, does she hiss or growl?

I would tell her no, sternly. After you tell her no, give her a toy to bite instead of a hand. Also, I agree with KayHartZZ, try to pay attention to how others handle her and what her body language is.

Back
Top Bottom