can you sue for this?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Tala, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My mom went to the dentist almost 2 months ago, and after they numbed her up, some of the nerves never "woke back up"
    so she has permanent (thus far) slurred speach

Couldn't she sue the dentist over that??
    I mean geeeze it's one thing to lose a tooth, but another thing entirely to sound drunk all the time. When I first talked to her I was afraid that she'd had a stroke!!

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    probably not. Talk to attorney. They can tell you for sure.

3. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am sorry though it sound like maybe he hit a nerve. It can take up to 18 months to heal.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I thought that's the reason they carry malpractice insurance. I figure they'd pay out without even going to court.
    Of course we'd consult an attorney before we actually did sue, but I was just thinking outloud.

5. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    That's okay some one else may have a better idea. Has she seen another dentist for a second opinion.

6. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Oh and I would never have anyone else that you know go to the first dentist. I would say he is fired.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:My sister's dentist is so good with the needle (she says) he also does botox, lol
    so we want mom to see him, but I do not know if she has gone or not yet. I'm going to visit her next week so I'll know more then.

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    You can sue for anything you like. Whether you win is a whole other discussion.

When I had my wisdom teeth out they messed up a nerve. For a couple of years I couldn't feel anything on that side of my tongue. The feeling has gradually come back and I am fine today.

I hope your mom gets better too. [​IMG]

9. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would love know the outcome.

10. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I know when I've had dental work the paperwork involved usually includes a bit about understanding that numbing agents and/or the work done could result in injury... and that you accept this risk in order to be rid of the pain of the bad tooth.

If she signed something like that then prolly not... but if not then yeah, talk to a lawyer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by