Can you suggest a good breed??

QBRanch

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
Colorado
:DOk ladies and gentlemen,
I am getting my order in for next year and I need to know the best egg production and the best brooders? So, please if you could give me some advice on which breed works for you and which breed doesn't. I have RIRs right now and they don't like to brood so I am going to purchase a couple silkies to brood for them. But, I would really like some hens that will do it by them selves.. Plus, what other breeds is good for production of eggs.. Whether it be fertile or non....Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay this is what I got for you. Best egg layers I have have to be my white leghorns, coming in close second is the black sex link. On the other hand if you want some that are supposed to get broody i have been told that buff orpingtons are excellent layers, meat birds, and also very good mommies. Good luck with your decision and I hope this helps.

your suggestion did help very well. I have been iffy on the buff orpington and have more or less a second opinion helps me out alot! thank you....

Henderson's chicken chart, which is seldom wrong and which lines up very well with my own years of experience, lists Orpingtons as "good" layers. Australorps are "very good." Again, this is exactly what I have seen having owned both breeds. So I'd recommend the Australorps over the Orpingtons. I'd also recommend Delawares as an alternative, which are also listed as "very good," and also make good broodies, depending on the strain. Guess it just depends on which color you prefer. Obviously, none of these breeds are going to lay as well as your RIRs, which are listed as "prolific," and truly are "excellent layers." I've never seen a pure breed heavy fowl that could really come close to a production RIR.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom