1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Can you take a look at this hen and let me know your opinion? PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chowder, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Chowder

Chowder Out Of The Brooder

This is Chowder - she is about 1 1/2 - she is the top hen (only 2 of them in the coop right now). Both hens stopped laying about 2 weeks ago - and we actually found an egg this morning - to our delight - then we saw Chowder. Looks like new growth but there are feathers all over the coop (photos attached). Is this new growth (molting) or does it look like something is getting her? We have watched the 2 hens and it doesn't look like the other hen is bothering her - but we could be wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. P.S. These 2 hends have been together almost a year. We lost another hen this last summer - but it was one day fine - next day dead. No sickness, etc. And the other two have been fine since. We went out of town and so there were about 5 days of eggs that were collected in the coop - and that is when it seems like they stopped laying - maybe thought they have a clutch to hatch? I don't know - just trying to give as much information as I can.

Any advice is appreciated - we love these gals and Chowder was our first and so is nearest and dearest to us . . .

Thank you,
    Alison

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

She is just molting feathers. nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    New growth, not to worry. Although it is amazing the sheer amount of feathers lost in a moult. And isn't she a beauty? My Delawares are my sweetest girls.

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    moult... I found the older the hens the worst they look.. seems to drop all their feather at the same time..

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She looks great compared to some when they molt.

6. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    You can tell it's new feathers coming in, when the little fluffy bits start to poke out of the quill like they're doing in your pic. First come the little quills, then the feathers. It should look much better in about 2 weeks.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Hee hee... she looks like a q-tip dispenser!

8. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Ah Ha!
    This is why my Delawares are so pokey now when I hug them.
    I thought they were growing spikes to keep me from snuggling them!

9. Chowder

Chowder Out Of The Brooder

WHEW! Thank you for your responses. I read them last night - but wasn't able to log on to post a reply! I feel much better. I had read about it - but wasn't sure if that is what it looks like. She is a beautiful gal and I just love her to death!

"Hee hee... she looks like a q-tip dispenser!" - that is funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by