can you take Canadian geese eggs???

butch

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 3, 2009
Van Wert
I was wondering if you are allowed to take wild canada geese eggs and hatch/raise them for pets or just to raise them??? I live in Ohio.

Hi Butch.
My grandfater used to raise Canada Geese (we're from Canada). However, a special permit had to be obtained. Your best bet is to contact your local Game Warden and ask.

Cheers!

Cath

let's see...migratory waterfowl...gotta have federal stamp to hunt...birds are tagged and information gathered on thier migration...I am going to go with that is a real good way to get in trouble

I agree, it's best to check with your game warden, first.

I am strongly betting that you can't take eggs from the wild. But, you may be able to get eggs or goslings from someone with a permit as long as you get a permit to have them.

No, you can NOT take ANY (native) waterfowl out of the wild. That would get you into big trouble and is a federal offense. You can order some domestically bred and raised Canada geese, but check with your state to see if you need a permit first. The laws protecting migratory birds if strict. Good luck with your research.

Quote:
Yes the law is strict but enforcement is usually left to local State authorities and you can't tell in advance how they will rule. In many states they are viewed as pests and enforcement looks the other way, but one loud complaint can have you in a heap of trouble.

A buddy of mine told me no that you can not unless you have all the permits and everything... you have to have someone come and look at your land...check your birds its a lot to go through but I think it is worth it...

I live in Tennessee this is what tennessee people have to do I do not know about everywhere else... Ask a game warden or do some research

Back
Top Bottom