Can you take chickens camping?

Mulemom

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Ok...here's a strange question, but I was wondering if they had issues with being hauled from one place to another overnight. I know you folks that show birds, must have to take them places and leave them overnight. Do they adjust to that ok?

We are members of a historical reenactment group and we have events at our own site and at other club's sites where we set up a primitve camp. I thought I could build a period correct wooden cage for them and take a couple into camp with us. I would take a couple of the most sociable, and they could free range around camp in the day and sleep in the cage in our tent at night. We have also considered setting up a photo thing outside the primitive area where folks could come and have their picture taken riding my mule and leading the pack mule. A couple of hens sticking their heads out of a wooden cage on top of a pack saddle would really add to the picture, don't you think?

Fresh eggs in camp wouldn't be a bad deal either.

What to you all think? Would I be traumatizing them to try and take them with us like that?

Well, I know my babies like routine; I’m not sure how well it would go over w/ your birds. If they don’t freak out at change maybe it wouldn’t be too stressful. But I don't see how it can't be somewhat stressful for them.

As for the free ranging, that I don’t get at all. It took me weeks to train all of mine to go back into the coop at night. If you let them out are you sure they would go back into the cage?

I'm only talking about taking two of them, and it would two of them that follow me around and jump in my lap where ever I am. I could jsut pick them up and put them in the cage before dark and they would just sleep in the tent with us (Only hens. My daughter's mule is the stand in rooster when we are camping. He starts braying at first light!).
barnie.gif

I think it's a great idea! Try it, see how it goes and go from there. The chickens will still have you and maybe that'll be routine enough for them.

Let us know how it goes.

By the way, do you ever see the movies where they have chickens on a ship. Whoa, what a ride they must have taken!

I think that if I were going to try this I would put the in the crate and take them somewhere close to home that they aren't used to, just to see how they react.
If things go badly there at least they won't be far from home and you can spend as much time as it takes trying to get them back in the crate without worrying about having to leave them behind if you can't find them.

Kind of a trial run.
smile.png

Maybe you could get them used to being tied. Like a leash. Only to their leg. Then they couldn't run away? Maybe? :|

Traveling with them is about the same as any animal, if they're used to it its no big deal.

There are folks that live full time in their RV's traveling the country. There are a few of them that have chickens that they travel with. These birds have doing traveling since they were very young and are quite comfy with it.

Show birds are conditioned for traveling and the handling they go through at shows. The suggestion to go a short distance with your birds is a good one but do it more than once. Get them used to riding in a carrier, being toted out and setup in the temporary quarters.

I think you can. I take my chickens places all the time. I either put them in a large Tupperware or a cat carrier with some pine shavings. I raised them in the Tupperware, so they don't seem to mind. To secure the Tupperware I zip-tied chicken wire to the top and wedged a perch between the plastic.

Maybe you should take some extra chicken fencing just in case it isn't safe to let them free range. You know dogs and such....

Good luck taking your chickens camping, so cute, I love it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom