Can you take incubated eggs that are pipping and put under a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by donnaboydjones, Feb 5, 2013.

1. donnaboydjones

donnaboydjones Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some eggs that I'm incubated and today thay started pipping.
    I also have a hen that "tries" to go broody.....she comes out of the coop with the rest of the flock, but then goes back much later then my other broody hens and then tries to sit on others layed eggs. I pick her up and put her back on her original ones everytime. This has been going on for several days now. I'm worried that the ones she has been sitting on aren't layed on enough, any way, as I said, I have some eggs that are pipping and was wondering if I could take them from the incubator and place them under her if she would accept them. Has anyone ever done this before?

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    I wouldn't do it. If the hen isn't actually sitting on eggs for long periods of time, she isn't really determined to hatch babies. Therefor, she may not keep the chicks warm enough because she keeps getting up and she may even betray them.

3. donnaboydjones

That makes sense. Thank you!=)

4. myfivegirls

myfivegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Delhi, NY
    You could do it, but ONLY if you confine her, so that she cannot come and go. But since she isn't staying on the nest all the time, there is a chance she wouldn't accept the hatching chicks.

5. donnaboydjones

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by