1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you tame 3 mo. old kids?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by babyboy1_mom, Jan 12, 2009.

1. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I went and looked at some goats this morning. I ended up not getting the Boer/Spanish mix. She has a couple of Nigerian Dwarf does that are due between mid-February and the end of February and I am thinking about getting a couple of kids from them.

The thing is that she will not sell them to be bottle raised. She will only sell them after they are weaned, which will be around 3 months old. Both of her N.D. does are skittish and will not let people touch them. I am worried that the kids will be too old to tame down and be handled at 3 mo. old.

So, can you tame a 3 mo. old kid, whose mom is scared of people?

Thanks for the help.

Dorothy

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I got a pygmy/fainter just like you described. I kept him in a small run and went and sat with him often. In about a week I could touch and pet on him. Still a little skittish. Treats work great at this time. Soon the baby will know where his food comes from. It just takes time.

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Have you ever known a goat to turn down a treat? I'm sure they'd warm up to you after a while. The last Pygmy we got was not really used to being handled, but after about 3 weeks she was eating out of our hands.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    One of our mini-manchas is very skittish. She apparently wasn't handled at all as a baby. We have had her for about 3 months and she is definitely more comfortable around us, but not as friendly as her mom. Anytime we come outside, she runs up to us to see if we have any treats. She often lets me pet and scratch her and sometimes lets the kids. She hasn't let my husband ever pet her to my knowledge. She will take treats from all of us though. I expect she will continue to become more trusting as time goes on. She was 9 months old when we got her and the lady we bought her from got her when she was about 5 months. Previous to that, she hadn't been handled at all.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Start with food. Bring food and sit quietly. Before long they will eat out of your hands.

6. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all of your replies. I just do not know how much this lady is gong to handle the babies, with letting the doe raise them.

She raises more Boer goats and all of them were friendly. She has one doe that has 3 kids that are 3 wks old and they were friendly and wanting attention....lol I just gathered that she did not handle the N.D.s as much as her Boers.

I will just have to spend time with it and give it time to get used to me. Not a problem, most days....lol

7. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I love your new avatar. Just call me when you want me to pick up the goat for dinner! [​IMG]

8. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Absolutely. I got Hope and Uno as a 3 year old and a 5 month old and they were WILD WILD WILD.

After lots of patience and treats, they are my best buddies and come running to see me.

The best tactic, in my opinion, is just to get a bucket or something and sit in the pen and do something, like read or listen to music. Having some treats in your pocket is a huge plus. Eventually they get curious and come to check you out. Ignore them. Once they come over to check you out a lot, you can try giving treats when they come over. Soon enough they'll be coming over lots, and you can try scratching their shoulder.

Good luck and don't ever let anyone tell you you can't tame wild goats like they told me!

9. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    obsessed - Thanks, but I told you that my future goats are not for dinner...lol

Epona142 - Thanks for the info. With me being new to the goat world, I wanted to make sure before I bought them. I plan on milking them and you cannot milk a goat that you cannot get close to...lol

Now I have to decide if I want Nubian or Nigerian Dwarf. I like the look of the Nubian, but the size of the Nigerian Dwarf. Any suggestions/comments on the breeds will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dorothy

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I say get a LaMancha!!! The minis are great too [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by