Can you tame adult chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texas_chick, Feb 25, 2009.

1. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    My Meyers shipment is still lost. [​IMG]
    In case they don't make it by the time they're found I am thinking of just buying some grown chickens locally.
    Can grown chickens be tamed/ made into pets or is that pretty unlikely?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Patience, Food, and Time. Three key ingredients. [​IMG]

3. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I agree with Cuban Longtails. Just hold them for like 5 or 10 minutes a day. Also, if you walk around they seem to like it better. If they get out of your arms it's ok, just pick them back up.

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:ok, I'm giving up now, I don't see how they're lost, but ok. *sigh*

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I bought 2 20 week old silkie hens. They were never hand raised, very pecky and mean. After about 2 weeks of holding them several times a day and giving them treats from hand they were very good. Too a couple months before they just let me pick them up out in the yard without taking off though.

It can be done!

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    treats... evrytime you go see them give them something they love.. pretty soon they will come running

7. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:According to the customer service person at the post office they should have arrived but they don't know where they are right now. That's why I refer to it as 'lost'. Their tracking system doesn't know where they are.

I can reword it to 'on hold at an unknown destination' if it sounds better though [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  8. sandypaws

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i had that happen one time.. so sad, by the time they found them they were almost all dead,,
    i screamed at the post office... i did not order chicks through the mail for a long long time after that

9. sandypaws

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i dont understand how they can loose a box saying "cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep"
    all you have to do is LISTEN

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I start out sitting with them with treats. I keep encouraging them to come closer with treats. Eventually they will let me touch them and handle them. It takes lots of time and patients.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by