can you tame an untame pullet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenjones, Jan 25, 2010.

1. chickenjones

chickenjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Burleson, TX
    My pullets aren't exactly wild. I have had them since they were about 4 weeks old. They are golden and silver laced wyandottes. They do usually come when I call but you can't really get near them. Very skiddish. We did handle them when they were chicks on a daily basis but I have a two year old, she is almost three now, who we didn't want to handle them- for obvious reasons. In order to do that we had to keep my 6 year old at bay and so basically we all backed off so they weren't hurt. I thought when they were out of the chick age we could re-introduce ourselves- I mean I do feed them every day and they see me all the time.

But once they were out of the chick stage they didn't want anything to do with us. The goldens were terrified and the silvers were down-right mean about it- pecking at you when you tried to get near them.

They are about 20 weeks now and at least one of them is laying cute little eggs. Do you think they will calm down eventually? What is the best way to "bond" with your chickens? This is my first time raising them. My husband had them growing up but they were "food" so no one got attached. I have read alot about getting to know them as chicks but not when they are older like this.

thanks in advance for any advice!

ChickenJones

2. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Best way I have found is with FOOD.

I always have endless food in their feeder but if by chance they run out.... they become your buddy quick. Even with treats you can tame them quite a bit.

Good luck.

3. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Oopps double post... sry

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Marshmellows [​IMG] also, mine were skiddish for a while, then for some reason when it started to snow and I came out to them they were super good and now continue to be... so who knows!

5. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    Quote:teach your children to handle chicks gently and supervise them and you wont have that problem. my 3 children have all handled chicks starting at 1yr. old. they understand what the words soft and gentle mean. my daughter is almost 6, my son is 4 and my youngest just turned 1, he has been to my friends and pets and gently touches the chicks. its a wounderfull expieience for a young child to have! youed be very surprised at how gentle a chiled can be with a chick when teach them. my 4 year old is looking forward to showing his preschool class HIS babies. we are geting our chicks this weekend!

6. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    meal worms! my friend took in a whole flock once that had prety much no human contact for a year untill she went and picked them up. it took two days and they were sitting on her knees eating out of her hands! i guess they even sell flavored ones now.

7. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I have to agree with the folks who said Food. Also, once mine had been laying for a few weeks they all calmed down considerably. Hormones?

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    When I first got my hens as pullets they were very skiddish. After they were here for a week I started removing the feed for 4hrs every morning. In about a week I was their best friend. Although now that they've grown up they still do not like being picked up. They will however hop in my lap and demand attention when I go into their run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by