can you teach a goose not to bite

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TerriL, Sep 11, 2013.

1. TerriL

TerriL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    I had a very lonely male goose so I purchase an adult female and 2 - 1yr olds. So things went along fine for 3 weeks and then this weekend I had to take one of my Turkeys to the vet I went to pick him up and one of the 1 yr old greese bit me in the butt. I hoped it would be a one time thing but yesterday I walked out into the yard and it ran to attack me and would not stop so I picked it up and put it in a pin until I was done the I let the goose loose and hurried in the house. I have had geese for years and never had this happen although people told me geese were mean I never had one.

I would love to keep him or her but I can do with the attacks. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop

First you were wonderful to get you gander some gaggle friends. But since a gander he has adopted them and is protecting them now as his flock. The only thing you can do to keep him from coming after you to bite is grab him up and put him under your arm and hold him tight until he stops fighting. Then if he trys to bite you hold his beak closed and say no bite. Do not cover his nostrils just hold the end closed. You might have to do this several times for him to learn you are bigger than he is and will confine him which they hate......
    Others will chime in to ad some of their ways as well....

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. TerriL

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    RURU, thanks for giving me hope that I can stop this. The one that is attacking me is actually one of the 1 year olds not my gander. I have had my gander for a long time he is sweet. I will try as you say and hopefully we can come to terms.

5. TerriL

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    Thank you Miss Lydia

That is what I need. I dont want to get rid of anyone so I will do what is necessary to get his or her respect.

Thanks Terri

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It worked on my gander and he was a big biter. I wish you all the best in your training. [​IMG]

7. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop

You are welcome TerriL. Geese need to learn respect for their human so make sure to make him respect you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by