Can you teach me how to sex by looking at features?

mama2chickies

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
I am new to this and am wondering when you look at a picture what tells you roo, or poulet? I would like to be able to watch my "guys" and look for the signs.
Thanks in advance!

I'm also new to this, but in reading oh about a million posts, I think most "qualified" sexers
old.gif
use comb development/color (early comb development with a pink or red tint says roo), stance (stands more upright than the others says roo), size of the feet and legs (larger feet and legs says roo), and shapes of the tail feathers as well as coloring (roos have pointed feathers while hens have rounded tail feathers). I don't really think it is an exact science do to the huge differences in breeds, but those areas seem to be the most tell tale signs. I'm just gonna wait and see what lays eggs and what crows!! FOOL PROOF!!!lol!!!
lau.gif

I used this method on my own chicks and many, many BYC chicks since. If you have more than one of the same breed to compare to, it's almost foolproof:

According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

I mostly Watch comb development, but sometimes the comb can be confusing. So then I look at the feathers. Roosters will develop pointy Feathers, while hen feathers will stay round. The rooster wil get these pointy, shiny feathers on his back, shoulders, and saddle, so watch for them! Here is someone's bird I sexed. I outlined the Roo feathers in red

39309_beatrixlegs2.jpg

Here he is again, without editing so you can see the shiny, pointy feathers! Case Solved!

39309_beatrixlegs2-2.jpg

Also, Male silkies will get streamers (Long, thin feathers coming out of the crest) This also indicates a rooster. Here is a showgirl with clear streamers...

39309_371382139_9b57c3f9e0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom