Can you tell a bearded Silkie from a non-bearded at six weeks and HOW?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by loopipi, Jul 7, 2010.

1. loopipi

loopipi Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Forest Lake
    Hi,
    I got good news from someone on craislist that she bought her silkie bantams sexed ( so they are all girls)... She is willing to part with five out of 15..She said they were a mixed of bearded
    v.s. non-bearded.. I would really like bearded.. Is there anyway I can tell when I go to look at them tomorrow if they will be bearded or non-bearded.. ? They are white and six weeks old. Many thank yous!

2. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    We just had a bunch of babies hatch, and we can tell right away if they have beards or not.. you should be able to tell. Im sure someone has pictures to show you the difference! They're a lot more puffy under the beak, and look like they.. well.. have beards!

3. Kimchi

Kimchi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Utah
    I'm no silkie expert, but I have a few silkies that were mixed too, and I think the beared ones have little "cheek fluff" They look like the chicks have fluffy cheeks.
    But don't take my word. I'm not 100% [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    The beard is obvious. You will be able to tell!

5. loopipi

loopipi Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Forest Lake
    Thanks for the advice. I hope I will be able to pick out those puffy bearded gals.. as I have some bearded silkie bantams - and I love the look but, I have never had a non-bearded so perhaps it will be obvious. However, I have a couple bearded right now and they are not extrodiarily bearded.. .I mean they have feathers under their chins and all but, not like WOW... your bearded... ! I will post pictures tomorrow so you can tell me if I made the right choices [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by