Can you tell an eastereggers sex by color??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bnchristian, Oct 12, 2009.

1. bnchristian

bnchristian Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2009
    I recently aquired 14 easteregger chicks. Now all are fairly well feathered. 7 white with black speckles 7 red with a few speckled; all have blue gray feet. Two of the whites I am certain are cockerels as they are trying to crow. I am just hopping not all seven whites are male, but if anyone knows if color matters I would love a heads up. aside from color they all look alike. The two crowers have a slightly longer tail feathers, but their combs are the same? [​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I don't think you can sex EEs by color. It's probably just coincidence that you have 2 white roos.

3. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    color doesn'tmake a difference. it's all about the saddle feathers being pointy or not. i thought all of mine were roos, but none of them where....

melinda [​IMG]

4. bnchristian

bnchristian Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2009
    Thank you I am hoping not all the whites are roos. Will they likely develop at the same rate since they are all from the same cluth and same hen? I just ned to know when it is safe to remove the roos??
    I will check for pointy feathers when I get home [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  5. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    how old are they? can you show us pics?

Melinda

6. BantyRooster

BantyRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    If you can, post some pics. By the time they are starting to crow you should be able to tell the roos from hens. I'll check in later. [​IMG]

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    If your EE chicks came from a hatchery or feedstore (not backyard bred), then sometimes you can tell their sex from their coloring/patterning. There are certain EE patterns that are definitely female, while others (like all white) would not be able to be sexed on color alone. If your chicks are 6-8 weeks old and fully feathered, than there's a very good chance we can sex them for you if you post pictures.

The pointed saddle feathers won't show up on your EE cockerels for quite awhile, so you can't use that as a determiner yet. Take a look at the combs of the two that are trying to crow and compare them to your other chicks - can you see a difference in color/size on your cockerels' combs versus the combs of the other chicks?

8. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Cream Legbars can be sexed from hatching by colour. It may depend with breed of EE you have- unless it it mixed breed.

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    My avatar is my white EE pullet!! I have all pullets and had heard about the color thing and it is hogwash! I have two red EE's and two white EE's and they are all hens!

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:It's not hogwash. I looked up one of your posts to see your EE's - perfect example of pullet color/patterning. You will not find an EE roo that has the coloring of these 3 EE pullets.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=223509

The patterning on your white & black one in your avator also looks like a girl. Pure white EE's would not be able to be sexed by their coloring because both cockerels & pullets can be pure white.

Not all EE's can be sexed by their coloring/patterning, but MANY can (as long as they're from the hatcheries or feed shops). This would not work with EE's from private backyard breeders (example - barred rock X EE or WLH X EE).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by