Can you tell apart BR and Gold Sex Link Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeftAtAlbuquerque, Aug 13, 2010.

1. LeftAtAlbuquerque

LeftAtAlbuquerque Out Of The Brooder

I got my first egg on Wednesday! It was from my Gold Sex Link, Blondie. Yesterday there was the second egg - it looked just like the first, so I thought it was another from Blondie, but Michelle , my Barred Rock is ready to start laying as well, so now I'm wondering...... will I be able to tell the eggs from these two apart?

2. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Our first two chickens to begin laying two weeks ago are a Barred Rock and a Gold Sex Link. With ours, the BR eggs are bigger, a lighter brown, and more elongated. My good camera is broken so this pic isn't very good but here they are side by side. (BR egg on the right.)

[​IMG]

3. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    By the way, congrats on your first egg!!! It's exciting, isn't it? We have two more pullets that should begin laying in the next couple weeks and three that have a ways to go before being ready. I would have never guessed that raising chickens would be so fun! [​IMG]

4. LeftAtAlbuquerque

Thanks, PetRock!! That's exactly what I needed. Now I know that my first two eggs were from Blondie, the GSL. Michelle, the BR, has been squatting for 3 days now, so maybe today's the day:) I have 2 nest boxes for the 6 girls, and we found the first egg in the left box, and the second egg in the right box. Guess she was just trying out both of them![​IMG] You're right, who knew they could such entertainment. When we found the second egg yesterday, DH said "Well, we're down to only $1,000 per egg now:)"

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG]

5. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Your ladies are beautiful!!! Your husband's comment sounds like one that my DH would make! All I wanted was a cat which he nixed for various reasons. But he did let his brother give us a Barred Rock chick. His reasoning was that at least chickens give you eggs and if times are tough, you'll have something to eat. We bought 3 more chicks (one EE, one Gold Sex Link, and one Black Australorp) to keep the first one company. Then a month later, we were at the feed store buying food when they received a shipment of chicks from Ideal. We went home with 3 more (another Barred Rock and two Silver Laced Wyandottes)! Gotta love chicken math! DH spent 3 long weekends working on our coop and run so we could move the first four out of their brooder in our family room. Taking in consideration the expense and time that we have put into housing & feeding our chickens, DH now thinks that the cat would have been easier! I'm expecting my new camera in the mail today and will post pics of our GSL and BR hens as soon as I can figure out how to work the camera. [​IMG]

6. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    The nest box hopping is funny, isn't it? We have 3 nest boxes for our 7. Our BR, Pet, started laying first and chose the first nest box. Then when our GSL, Omelet, started laying a week later, she chose to lay in the same box. I guess that upset head chicken Pet. She would stand on one leg in the door of the coop and stare at Omelet when she was in the nest box. But Omelet was all hunkered down and not moving for anything! So, Pet gave up and began laying in the middle box. She laid her egg in the middle box for a week then yesterday tried out the third box and today went back to the first box after Omelet was finished. It will be interesting to see what happens when the next two start laying.

7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You are lucky...our Dolly is RUDE! [​IMG] If someone is in the box she wants to lay in, she hops right in and stands on the other chicken til they move. She does that to several before she finally decides to use the same box she uses EVERY day...it is a large box and often she 'shares' the box and two of them lay at the same time! [​IMG]

8. LeftAtAlbuquerque

Wow, that's too funny! DH didn't want chickens either....... I came home with 3 and he helped me set up a brooder. He became very attached to them and hand feed the Buff Orp wehen she was a few days old and we weren't sure she would make it - actually cooked her hamburger and hard boiled eggs. A week later he said "I think we should get a few more.........." And yes, he built the coop and run himself. We spent a small fortune, which we don't have right now, but they're so much fun. They freerange every night while we sit out with a glass of wine and laugh at their antics,

Did you get your camera? Chickens are such fun photography subjects, aren't they? And video, too. Here's a funny little movie of my Gracie who can never remember where the door is, and how to get back in the coop at night. She could have gone into the run and straight to the coop, but poor little thing, she gets confused easily:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by