Can you tell by size?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heyeddah, Apr 2, 2009.

1. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    I read in a back dated magazine article that two women swear that they can tell which is pullet or roo by the size and shape of the egg before incubating. They claimed that the larger more oval eggs were all roosters. I was wondering if anyone on here either heard of that or tested that theory?

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i heard the pointier ones were roos. I have a friend who practices this, and only incubates the round ones, no super pointy and its significantally increased his number of pullets!

he can also sex the chicks...

3. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    I'm not certain about the shape, some people say so and I won't doubt what has woked for them. My hens' eggs all seem to be consisent in shape, (none more pointy than any other, except perhaps very, very rarely), but you might want to know that lower temps in an incubator definately gives you more pullets. Around 971/2 to 98 degrees is where I keep it. This has been proven true by myself numerous times and I have heard of others on here as well. An old chicken farmer told me this years ago. It was something he had heard from adults in his childhood. Some will say it is an old wives tale and that just fine, let them, but it does work as I have done it. Maybe you should lower your temps and do only the egg shape indicated for pullets. That should definately work! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

IMO......Hogwash..........Pop

5. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    We are about to do a hatch in school after break, so I will be running my own unscientific shape and temperature experiment. I will put the results on here in mid May. I can definately notice a difference between pointy and rounder eggs and I know who lays what from where it is.
    Maybe all baloney, but fun to wonder about just the same

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by