can you tell gender while still in egg?

Chickenlover7711

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 12, 2010
Can you tell the gender of a chicken by looking at it in the egg?
jumpy.gif

no sonograms for eggs:) wouldn't work anyway as the male genitalia are internal.

Last edited:
In The Encyclopedia of Counrty Living 10th Edition Carla Emery cites a method of sexing by egg shape. (Sorry, I've been looking for the exact citation for the last half an hour and couldn't find it). The citation says that if the small end of the egg is pointy, its a male; if the small end of the egg is rounded, its a girl. Just for the fun of it, we wrote down which sex we thought it was using this guideline when we put the eggs in the incubator. Of the 7 that hatched, 4 were correctly sexed by egg shape and 3 were not, making it 75% accurate. Slightly better than guessing.

Quote:
Did you mean 57%? Yes slightly better than guessing but I would suggest you need more than one data point to prove the theory. Not trying to pick on anyone or offend, it is just that I had read that this method is really just not much more than any of the other "old wives tales" like hanging a pendant over an egg (or pregnant woman's belly) to see how it swings to predict the sex of the baby.

Quote:
Did you mean 57%? Yes slightly better than guessing but I would suggest you need more than one data point to prove the theory. Not trying to pick on anyone or offend, it is just that I had read that this method is really just not much more than any of the other "old wives tales" like hanging a pendant over an egg (or pregnant woman's belly) to see how it swings to predict the sex of the baby.

Sorry - you're right 57%. I only brought it up for fun and my experience was that it was slightly better than guessing.

Back
Top Bottom