can you tell gender while still in egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenlover7711, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Chickenlover7711

Chickenlover7711 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Can you tell the gender of a chicken by looking at it in the egg? [​IMG]

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    No- just no way. Sorry

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    nope!! [​IMG]

Well... technically you can, but it is VERY expensive, not widely done and you can't do the experiment until the chick is about 18 d into incubation.

4. Chickenlover7711

Chickenlover7711 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    okay thanks anyway

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    no sonograms for eggs:) wouldn't work anyway as the male genitalia are internal.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  6. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Too bad! I wish ya could! I was wondering the same thing.

7. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    In The Encyclopedia of Counrty Living 10th Edition Carla Emery cites a method of sexing by egg shape. (Sorry, I've been looking for the exact citation for the last half an hour and couldn't find it). The citation says that if the small end of the egg is pointy, its a male; if the small end of the egg is rounded, its a girl. Just for the fun of it, we wrote down which sex we thought it was using this guideline when we put the eggs in the incubator. Of the 7 that hatched, 4 were correctly sexed by egg shape and 3 were not, making it 75% accurate. Slightly better than guessing.

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:Did you mean 57%? Yes slightly better than guessing but I would suggest you need more than one data point to prove the theory. Not trying to pick on anyone or offend, it is just that I had read that this method is really just not much more than any of the other "old wives tales" like hanging a pendant over an egg (or pregnant woman's belly) to see how it swings to predict the sex of the baby.

9. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    Quote:Did you mean 57%? Yes slightly better than guessing but I would suggest you need more than one data point to prove the theory. Not trying to pick on anyone or offend, it is just that I had read that this method is really just not much more than any of the other "old wives tales" like hanging a pendant over an egg (or pregnant woman's belly) to see how it swings to predict the sex of the baby.

Sorry - you're right 57%. I only brought it up for fun and my experience was that it was slightly better than guessing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by