can you tell how old a rooster is? and other roo questions!!

mom wewantchicks!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
buckhannon,wv
i met my neighbors today and turns out they have some chickens. well actually since moving to my new house, lots of the neighbors have chickens,but thats another story!! anyway we get to talking and she tells me her dh just brought them home a few weeks ago to butcher. so i ask about the BR roo and she says to come back and her dh will probably let me have him! is there anyway to tell about how old he is? the hens he is penned up with look terrible,missing toes,featherless spots and it looks like they've been debeaked,one is very swollen around her bottom. they lady says they are old,so the people they got them from just got new chickens and they just didnt want the roo and he "isnt to old" i only have 6 hens and i dont want him tearing them all up,is 6 enough to keep a guy happy? my chickens get to free range most of the day. also what about keeping him seperate? how long? how far should i keep him from the girls? any other rooster advice?

hmm, i never even looked!! i was to horrified looking at the poor hens he is living with!!! how could i tell if they are trimmed? they just wont be there at all?

so anyone else have any advise? should i take this guy in? or will it just be more trouble? i will check out the spurs tommorow. think my neighbor will assume im totally crazy if i want to take a picture?

ok guys help me out!! hubby went over and looked at his spurs today,says they are about 1/2 inch(?) so im guessing not to old. but my two major questions are,will 6 hens be enough? i dont want featherless ugly hens! and the neighbors have had him a few weeks, i dont know much about what illnesses id be looking for but if he stays over there a few more weeks and is ok, can i put him in with my hens? will that count just like seperating him?

Back
Top Bottom