Can you tell if I'm a boy or a girl yet?

19hhbelgian

Pigs DO Fly!!
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
New Tripoli PA
I have a bourbon red poult who is going on 2 months old the end of July. I know the toms are supposed to get black edging on their feathers, and the girls stay white, but I don't know at what age I should see this... I included the best pics I could get with the camera that I have right now, so hopefully someone will be able to give both of us some more insight
wink.png
Once again, I apologize for the picture quality...

27475_img_6777.jpg
27475_img_6798.jpg

My poult hunting the only big game I keep in the shed... Flies
lol.png

27475_img_6789.jpg

Here's a stretching pose... Figured you could see the wing pretty good:
27475_img_6837.jpg

It's easier with young ones if there are others from the same hatch for comparison. However, I would say that the small snood and dainty facial features suggest a hen.

Quote:
Thank you! Glad to know... She's been being called a she since she was just a tiny fuzz ball, so I'm glad I was right! I just love her - such a different way of going about things than the chickens, but she still adores her smaller siblings
smile.png
And, I've got to say, they look for her if she goes elsewhere! Hopefully she won't be my only turkey, but we'll see what hubby thinks about that
wink.png

Not to cause argument, but I think its a bit early to tell. It still has a lot of fuzz on its head, so it can't be six weeks old when the picture was taken. It will be a couple more weeks before you can start to imagine what it is. I have three bourbon reds this year. They are 10 1/2 weeks old. I am very sure one is a tom, mostly sure another is a tom, and slighlty sure that the third is a hen. They have been the hardest to figure out for me. I also have Royal Palms, Narragansetts, Standard Bronze, and a white midget. I think I have all of them figured out, but even today I was waffling on one of the RPs.

Things to look for that might help...A few large caruncles at the base of the neck (7 to 8 weeks), an elongating snood (8 to 10 weeks), and a larger waddle that almost has to fold itself up if the turkeys neck is not stretched (9 to 11 weeks). Also watch for extended strutting behavior. Hens will sometimes strut, but they don't seem to be willing to hold the pose as long as the males do. None of these things guarantees what sex it is, but I think by 10-12 weeks you can get most of them right.

Enjoy it, whatever it is!

Actually those pics were literally just taken when I posted this, and that really is when I got my poult (end of May, and "she" was all fuzz, some wing feathers starting to sprout ). I know exactly when I got her because I got her at our chickenstock. Maybe she's a late bloomer? Or maybe she's taking after the chicks rather than being a turkey
tongue.png
She is starting to make funny turkey noises now, rather than all peeping - don't know if that means anything. No worries about starting an argument! I appreciate your input
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom