Can you tell if this bird is a Leghorn or Cornish cross?

Bantu

Chirping
Jul 21, 2016
USA
My Coop
My Coop

I lost half my flock to coyotes and I went to a local farm store and bought a couple of sexed pullets and 3 " meat " birds to try. I have never raised cornish cross and don't know what to expect, but these little turds are flighty and difficult to keep in the brooder. The feed store had some Ideal 236 or something. Any advice or is it a wait and see?

A white rock is a possibility as well. They look too wide for a leghorn but I'm not getting a cornish cross feel from those chicks either. Another week or two of development will help. My white rock is much wider then my leghorn crosses but nothing like a cornish cross.

Last edited:
don't look like Cornish x to me either. Put a wire top on your brooder so they don't jump or fall out and get injured or worse.

Ideal 236 is a laying breed from Ideal Hatchery. They are bred from a combination of Leghorn lines. High efficiency layer, slightly heavier than typical Leghorns, and should lay longer than typical Leghorns. If they are flighty "wild" they are likely the Ideal 236.

I was thinking along the those lines. I just wish I would have told me they didn't know. That way at least I could make the choice. I wanted to try meat birds. :barnie
They are flighty. One was clear across the room perched on my sewing chair. Lol.
Wire top is now in place.

Last edited:
A white rock is a possibility as well. They look too wide for a leghorn but I'm not getting a cornish cross feel from those chicks either. Another week or two of development will help. My white rock is much wider then my leghorn crosses but nothing like a cornish cross.
Agreed

Back
Top Bottom