1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you Tell its Gender this early?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Beanbag, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Beanbag

Beanbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    Hello everyone! I am raising a frizzle chick thats about 3 weeks old. Or at least thats how old I was told he was, honestly the people we bought our chicks from are the only people in our area we could find that were selling chicks, the man didn't even know what most of the chickens were or anything. o_O Do all Jersey Black Giants have black beaks as chicks? Anyhow... I was hoping that someone might be able to take a guess as to what gender this little frizzle chick I am raising is, I was told a male because he already has the start of a comb. Here is his picture. oh! by the way.. Can anyone tell me what color he will be? I was thinking Buff but I couldn't find a frizzle chicken on google that was buff colored except the polish but the people I bought this guy from didn't have any polish chickens, I am also guessing he's only half frizzle and half goodness only knows what. The only frizzle I saw that the people had was a white frizzle hen, but clearly this guy isn't white.
    [​IMG] Let me know! thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Awwww! What a cute chicky. I just love those frizzles. I can't tell the gender (at least not yet), but just because it has a comb, doesn't mean it's a rooster. As for the color... maybe wheaten??

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    My guess is that it will be a red cockerel.

Does it have feathered feet?

4. Beanbag

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    Yes he/she has feathered feet.

5. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    im gonna say pullet and im going off of my cochin because that is what it looks like. the comb is so very yellow and just because there is a comb doesnt automatically mean male.

6. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I think it will either be a red or buff male as well. Good luck and keep us posted!

7. Beanbag

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    So you all think its a cochin? I was told it was a bantam but I don't know if bantams have feathers on their feet, this chick does. It's also extremely gentle, even to the younger chicks and it also loves to be talked to, it comes over to the cage door and tilts it's head at me when I tell it that its a pretty bird. I also only remember seeing one frizzle on the property where I bought it from, what I believe was it's mother was a white frizzle, also with feathers on its feet. So its half goodness only knows what, I am guessing that may be where it got it's color from?

8. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    bantam is the size of bird. bantams are 1/4-1/2 the size of standard birds and there are many different types of bantams. yes i think it is a cochin or a brahma mix because of the face and the feathered legs. either way it is very cute.

9. Beanbag

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    Oh! LOL... oops... this is my first chicken... learn as you go right?

10. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

It sure has a lot of feathers....for a roo. My friend has frizzled cochin and man oh man are they ugly right now. Hers has half the amount of feathers yours has. Roos get their feathers in slower than pullets do. I will ask crazychickengirl to post a pic of her scary little birds. And if I am not mistaken....hers are older than 3 weeks. I will ask. Either way you have a very cute little guy! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by