Can you tell just by handling?

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
I've got a gentlemen coming to pick up these pullets and when I said one may be laying, he said 'Oh you can't tell just by handling one? I can. Tsk tsk.'

roll.png
She may or may not be a new layer. Her comb is 'getting' redder, but it's not fully developed. The roos are mating her, but seriously, can you tell just from holding a pullet if it lays eggs or not?

Condescending people shouldn't have chickens, send him packing! If he's pretentious and rude to you, how will he treat the birds?

Well, this is the bird in question. He grabbed her behind the wings and touched her bum and said she's laying.

3111828390_4d03ee1589.jpg

Then he asked if I would sell my buff orp pullets to him for $5 a piece as well....

lau.gif
No buddy, these aren't hatchery birds.

Quote:
He didn't buy her. He took two that weren't laying yet. I'm assuming she's around 5 months old, since she's getting red like my laying pullets. The woman I purchased her from said they were all between 5-10 months old.

Quote:
He didn't buy her. He took two that weren't laying yet. I'm assuming she's around 5 months old, since she's getting red like my laying pullets. The woman I purchased her from said they were all between 5-10 months old.

Ohhh.... got yah, sorry !! Figured he wanted the one that was laying !!

Ok so I should say..... Guess you will find out soon !!!

From the pic I would guess she wasn't laying yet, only b/c her comb is still small and not RED RED !! But, thats just my guess !!

They should show that they are capable of "filling up" with eggs!

This may help you to know that . . .

pelvicbones.jpg

edited to say: don't pull out any of her pretty feathers to check.

Last edited:
Thank you digits! I think she 'may' be, since I've found 2 teeny blue eggs since she's been here and the layers have khaki and mint green.

Back
Top Bottom