Can you tell me about Finches?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by rodriguezpoultry, Oct 24, 2011.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm going back and forth on myself. I love birds, that's it.

I've had parakeets, canaries...but I'm thinking about finches.

I do not want the zebra finches, those are too simple. I'm after the more distinct colors, otherwise I know I will lose interest. I love the antics of all finch species and enjoy hearing them.

I'm wondering if anyone knows:
    If they are loud, like a parakeet or canary?
    Would do well in a cage similar to those they are sold in? Possibly a 2ft. cage? If not, what size "should" the cage be?

I realize I would need to get a pair, I'd be looking for a male and female and would probably purchase from a breeder as the rarer species are not going to be sold in stores readily.

Any ideas that would do well with my requests?
    Fairly quiet, active, somewhat easy to breed?

I've found one species I believe I'm fairly interested in, but would like input! Thanks!

Edit: "Lose interest" is a poor choice of wording..I want something that allures me, not just any type of finch.

I'm really liking the Lady Gouldian finch or Strawberry finch, but I'd like the colors to remain vibrant, not just during breeding season.

I also very much like the Cordon Bleu finch...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Lady Gouldian finches have vibrant color year round. They are also quiet finches.

Gail

3. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    another one to look at is the orange cheek waxbill, very entertaining and nice, and inexpensive.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I had zebras for a few years. Raised a few.

I found them to be quiet, but non stop squeaking. Eventually I got tired of the squeaking.
    I kept them in the smaller bird cages, so I think 2ft would be OK. They need enough room to fly a bit, like a canary.

The Gouldians, Cordon Bleus, and Strawberries are readily available here at the chain pet stores. PetSmart & Petco.

Imp

5. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

I know you mentioned not wanting zebra finches, but are you familiar with all the different colors and combinations there are? Check out this site to see the variety out there. And you'll have the benefit of having a species that is really easy to care for.

Also, have you considered canaries? They come in more than just yellow, and they're also easier to care for than some of the other species.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I actually had a canary. It was far louder (even though it was supposed to be a female) than the male. It was a gorgeous red-factor. "She" sang day or night, was extremely flighty and was just not what I was after.

My husband was driven insane by what he called "endless nails on a chalkboard."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by