can you tell me anything about eating eggs if the chicks had gamebird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shobbs7136, Jan 20, 2010.

1. shobbs7136

shobbs7136 New Egg

Jan 19, 2010
    can you tell me anything about eating eggs if the chicks had gamebird feed which had lasalocid in it. i took all of it up and replaced with Layena today but can i eat the dozen or so i have and when will it be ok to give eggs to grandchildren? thanks s

2. trinacliff

trinacliff Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I'm clueless...can you not eat eggs if you feed gamebird feed? I've been told to mix in some gamebird feed in order to up protein to get my chickens conditioned for a show, so is there a problem with eating the eggs if I feed this? I wasn't aware...maybe someone else has some input.

Take care,

Kristen

3. shobbs7136

shobbs7136 New Egg

Jan 19, 2010
    yes, that is what i was trying to do also, increase the protien. but now i read something about not eating eggs from hens that had medicated feed -

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I don't know if gamebird feed is medicated. I would not think so. Usually the medicated chicken feed is the starter feed. I have not fed any medicated feed but a lot of folks have posted about it. Some add/mix gamebird feed as it has more protein. Check the label on the bag or maybe someone else will speak up but unless it contains medication it should not be a problem. Now you should also make sure calsium is available for free feeding if you are not using layer feed as the girls need sufficient calcium (i.e. crushed oystershell) to lay ...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  5. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] All I feed my stock is gamebird feed and I have chickens as well as pea fowl and pheasants. The only medicated feed I have seen has been the chick starter and you can get it medicated in the gamebird chick starter, too. The gamebird feed for adults is not medicated, at least what I buy and I get my feed from my local farmers cooperative isn't. I don't think medicated is available unless it is the starter. I also make sure to leave out crushed oyster shell so that they can take as needed, but you could also mix in with their regular feed; there are instructions on the back of the bag of oyster shell. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    My chickens get a combo of Gamebird feed and Layena., Ive been eating there eggs along with my family for months now and havent any issues..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by