Can you tell me approximately how old this fetus is? *WARNING GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TinyLittleFarm, Mar 1, 2011.

1. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    We have two silkies sitting on a clutch of what was seven eggs. They are sharing the clutch. Is this weird?

Anyway, on Saturday I found one egg that had been kicked out of the nest and was cold.

Today, there was another kicked out, also cold. I opened it up, pic below. We are not sure how long they have been brooding. We thought the eggs were due last Saturday, but no babies yet. I don't hear any peeping, but it is noisy out there! I candled on Sunday and saw movement in at least four of them. This is my first hatch of any sort. The babies are the offspring of Silky moms and a Light Brahma papa.
    Based on this picture, how much longer do you think we have to wait?

RIP, little baby.

[​IMG]

2. Munkeesmama

Munkeesmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    California
    Poor bubs, I would say any day now. That is a fully formed chick.

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I think its pretty well formed too. Reckon 18 days + Should be hatching soon, in the next two or three days. The cold egg you found - doubtless it has died and the mom/s knew and that is why they rejected it. Often they know long before we do if something has gone wrong. It doesn;t mean they will reject them all. Just keep an eye on whats going on it could be the hens are fighting over the nest.

Oesdog Sad you lost that one. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    it looks like it would have hatched soon [​IMG] i'm very sorry for your loss [​IMG]

5. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    Very good picture, by the way.
    Interesting to get a snapshot of what inside the shell would be looking like at that stage of hatching.

6. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My kids just checked the coop and said that they saw eggs rocking. I'm assuming this is a good sign! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by