Can you tell me how you get good pictures...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lesliet, Feb 5, 2009.

1. lesliet

lesliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    I have been trying to a while now to get some good photos of my chickens. how do you do it??????????????? [​IMG]
    You don't have to give me ALL your secrets just one or two would be so helpful [​IMG]
    Please take pitty on the photographic impaired.

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I usually lure them with treats to make them more co-operative....

I use the zoom a lot for close ups

Sometimes I get down on the ground for a one on one type shot instead of a downward angle

A good quality camera does most of the work... but that is just my opinion.

Good luck !! [​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I used to take terrible photos, then just bought a better camera and bingo problem solved. It is still difficult to get some good shots of certain birds, they are papparatzy shy. try to get somebody to help, or to be honest just sit there a good while the shot will come.

AL

4. lesliet

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    I know it is not the camera, because I was able to get 1 good picture but that has been it. And I am not sure what I did to get it. So I know the camera will do it but not in my hands. her is the "1" good picture

[​IMG]

5. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Take tons of them. You're not wasting film w/a digital camera.
    After you download onto your computer is the time to delete. Some of my best photo's were some I didn't know I had, so to speak. You can crop for close ups many times.

Set in sport or action mode - with chooks this is a must in my book as they hardly ever stay still! [​IMG] Well, mine don't anyway. [​IMG]

Take pictures at different times of the day and different weather.

Spend time and try not to hurry. That way your chooks will relax around you.

Chooks look good on green grass. Look at angles, straight on, to the side, below and slightly above. Not too high above, like right over their backs. You'll only get a few good shots at that angle.

Practice, practice practice and "Don't give up." One or two good shots and you'll be hooked. Have fun!!!! [​IMG]

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    You may want to try pressing the shudder down just halfway until the camera self focuses, then press the shudder all the way down this may help. It has helped with mine considerably.

7. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, that is really a sweet pic! Good job! Do you want them posed or natural?

8. lesliet

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    ok will try the angles this weekend. and will make sure I have it on action mode [​IMG]

9. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I let my wife take them! [​IMG]

10. lesliet

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    would like to get natural and posed, but I think I need to work with one and then try the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by