Can you tell me if there are any roos here?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lbartsch, Aug 11, 2011.

1. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    We'd love to know if any of these girls look like guys to you experts.

The first two pics are of Luna. Bonus question is: is Luna an Australorp or Black Wyandotte? She was sold to us as a Black Wyandotte but I think she's an Australorp. What do you think?

Thanks for all your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Forgot to say they are about 8 weeks old. Thanks again!

3. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    It looks like they are all beautiful pullets. [​IMG] What type of comb does Luna have?

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    #2 COULD be a roo. Unsure. They are all beautiful birds though [​IMG]

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

They all look like they have some pretty thick legs, but everything else looks very girly, however, 1 & 2 give me a roo vibe with the tail, and 3 & 4 are probably pullets, but it might still be too early to tell.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    I think Luna's comb is a pea comb. It's so tiny that it's hard to tell.

When you say "number 2 might be a roo", do you mean the second photo of Luna or the RIR?

Thanks for all the guesses! I hope they are all pullets - we love them all we'd be so distraught to have to get rid of one and we're not allowed to have roos by law here in Oakland.

Any further signs to look for?

I appreciate all your help!

7. colebarnhart

Sorry, I thought pic 1 & 2 were different birds. I've heard that a flat tail is a roo sign and upward tail means pullet, but not sure if it really means anything for sure. I think "Luna" is an Australorp and to me doesn't appear to have a pea comb, it looks more narrow when compared to your SLW pullet in pic #4

8. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    I should also probably say that Luna's tail usually points almost straight up. In these pictures she was trying to balance on the pointy end of the bottom of a leg of a stool turned upside down.

THANKS!

9. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Thanks Colebarnhart! I really appreciate your thoughts. Everyday I am scared to death I'll hear a crow. What age do they start doing that?

10. colebarnhart

You're very welcome, anytime, and as I said before, other than having thick legs, all 3 look very girly. So don't think you have to worry, and at 8 wks I would think you should see more comb development and roo-ish type behavior. I had one BR rooster start crowing at 3 months and had a RIR wait until 6 months, but thinking you'll be getting eggs instead of crows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by