1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you tell me if this muscovy is male or female?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lina500, Oct 2, 2015.

1. lina500

lina500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    We have five musovy ducks that were born the same day and are now 7 weeks old. Two are much bigger than the other three, so I assume they are male. One of the small ones has thick legs and bigger knees, making me worry she is male, too. She's my favorite, though, but if she's male she's off the island. Please tell me she is female.

[​IMG]
    This one shows the three smaller ones. The one with the bigger knees is in the middle.

[​IMG]
    On the left is one of the bigger ones. To the right are the two girls with the (relatively) delicate legs.

[​IMG]
    Big knees with the spotted chest in the middle, to her right is one of the bigger ones that I think is a boy, behind her is one of the ones I think is a girl. So tell me, is this adorable spotted-chested duck male or female?

2. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

I only see one girl in the first picture on the right, also some females at this age can be big, but as they get older they will not grow at all, kind of how some humans grow really tall then stop growing and after sometime everybody catches up.

3. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    So you think the white one with the black spot on its head is female and the other two in the front of the photo (ignore the second row of ducks, I couldn't get them out of shot) are both male?

What do you think of the one with the speckled chest in the third photo?

4. Buck Oakes

okay also in the first photo, the one of the left could be a female, its hard to tell if i was here in person i could tell u in three seconds [​IMG]

Looks like a boy but possibly girl but more a boy i say maybe girl bc how slim he/she looks

pls tell em these are pets, they are so pretty and adorable to be well you know...

5. Buck Oakes

also the tan one in the background on the third pic is a girl is she cream or buff? or self chocolate? if you don't know thats fine, those colors look pretty similar [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  6. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    Here are a few more snaps.

[​IMG]
    Just the two grey/white and one black/white in front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    The cream colored one in the background is older, she is two months and I'm pretty certain she is female.

Most of the girls will be pets, and the rest will be going back to my friend's farm (where they originally came from). I am really hoping the speckled chest one is female because she is so sweet and I really want to keep her! But we already have one Pekin male and I can't deal with having two males again.

8. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    I am slipping into a deep depression over the fact that my favorite duckling might have to go to the farm. Paging @Miss Lydia

One more:

[​IMG]

Wrapped up to go to the vet.

9. Buck Oakes

Y? Bc of fighting, Muscovy males don't bother with other breeds

10. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    I was worried about overmating with the girls. We have two female pekins and one male pekin. For a while we had a second male, and the girls were very, very unhappy.

Now I have these muscovies. I would prefer not to keep more than two.

If we had one male musovy and one female muscovy with the two female pekins and one male pekins, would that be okay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by