Can you tell me the breeds?

Krah24

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 30, 2013
Our hen became broody and now we have some chickens we got from a farm with a variety of chickens.
They're still pretty young so I realize it might be too early still to tell but I've had a few people suggest I post and try anyway and maybe we can get some guesses!
Also they came from a variety farm so I know they're probably some crazy mixes.
They are about 5 months old.
It's a little hard to get their pictures taken as they are really timid.
Here they are.. The best I can do for now anyway.
This one looks like she will have feathers on her face (I know I've seen chickens like that but I'm not sure of the breed) and yes I think she but I could be wrong. It's a feisty one and sticks it neck out a lot to fight with the others so idk but the comb isn't really coming in.

My two suspect roosters
First this little one who I'm actually torn.. I can't decide but my husband and friends think so. He or she is really dark and has those black markings I was talking with someone about.

And the other suspect rooster.
This one actually makes a lot of weird noises and loud- it sounds like he may be trying to crow but can't quite get it. He usually does it when he's frustrated if he doesn't get to the treats before the rest of them.

And then these two I'm sure are hens.
They were the hardest to get pictures of as they are extremely timid, especially the orange one.
The orange one has those same black marks as the first suspect rooster only not as abundant and noticeable.

And here is one of all of them knocking each other around trying to get away from me! :D

Thanks everyone! And sorry I couldn't get better pictures!

i know a couple, dark red is rhode island red, lighter red is what they call cinnamon , or red star bout the same as rir, i wonder if the tan and white is salmon faverolles and i think the roo is a silver laced wyandotte. i dont know the white one and guessing at the others but it gives you a starting point and may i say, someone gave you a fine flock.

How sure are you on age? They look a little younger to me.

Since these are mixes, they're not sex links and you can't sex them by color. So that's out.

The first bird, red and white with the beard, is male. Could be a red sex link crossed with an Easter egger, would be my best guess.
The second, solid red bird also looks male, and could be a hatchery quality Rhode island red, or a sex link/red mix, something like that. He seems to have a fairly nice dark coloring.
The third bird, mostly red with a white tail, also looks to me male, I'm just not positive on this one, especially with the age you've given. This one looks to be a second generation red sex link, or a mix of sex link and a red bird.
The last two do look to be hens. The blonder one may have some Easter egger blood, it's hard to tell from the pic. If she lays green or blue eggs, well, there ya go!
the little red hen looks to be just that, a red hatchery quality bird that will probably flood you in nice brown eggs next spring.

Overall, it's a pretty nice looking bunch, but that's a lot of roosters.

edited--you say the first bird's comb isn't really coming in....he has a mixed type comb, not a nice big straight comb like the other boys. His will never look as big. I think he's a straight combed breed mixed with a pea comb breed, so that gives him that funky not-quite pea comb. It will plump up and redden and get larger, though. Look around here for images of Easter egger roosters and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
i know a couple, dark red is rhode island red, lighter red is what they call cinnamon , or red star bout the same as rir, i wonder if the tan and white is salmon faverolles and i think the roo is a silver laced wyandotte. i dont know the white one and guessing at the others but it gives you a starting point and may i say, someone gave you a fine flock.  

Thank you :)
The big silver laced Wyandotte in the picture is actually a hen.
I've had her and a silver laced Cochin for two years now :)
The Cochin is the one the was broody and since we only had the two and no roos, we went to a farm and got some eggs for her to lay on and the five little chickens are the ones that hatched from that.

How sure are you on age? They look a little younger to me.

Since these are mixes, they're not sex links and you can't sex them by color. So that's out.

The first bird, red and white with the beard, is male. Could be a red sex link crossed with an Easter egger, would be my best guess.
The second, solid red bird also looks male, and could be a hatchery quality Rhode island red, or a sex link/red mix, something like that. He seems to have a fairly nice dark coloring.
The third bird, mostly red with a white tail, also looks to me male, I'm just not positive on this one, especially with the age you've given. This one looks to be a second generation red sex link, or a mix of sex link and a red bird.
The last two do look to be hens. The blonder one may have some Easter egger blood, it's hard to tell from the pic. If she lays green or blue eggs, well, there ya go!
the little red hen looks to be just that, a red hatchery quality bird that will probably flood you in nice brown eggs next spring.

Overall, it's a pretty nice looking bunch, but that's a lot of roosters.

edited--you say the first bird's comb isn't really coming in....he has a mixed type comb, not a nice big straight comb like the other boys. His will never look as big. I think he's a straight combed breed mixed with a pea comb breed, so that gives him that funky not-quite pea comb. It will plump up and redden and get larger, though. Look around here for images of Easter egger roosters and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah I meant that the comb is really tiny and not tall. I thought maybe he is a rooster too mostly because of the behavior and long neck but a friend came by my house and suggested that he may not be a he and rather a she because of the comb!
I thought that was a good point but then again I don't know a lot about chickens!
I watch it and I still think rooster sometimes so now I'll present your argument! Lol thanks.

And you're right on the age!
I was thinking off the top of my head and I couldn't remember exactly when they hatched.
I thought I was overshooting but I went with it anyway.
I just looked at my calendar and they hatched on July 29th!

Last edited:
well, at least i got the breed right.haha silver lace, never had one but its pretty

True!
Yeah she is a little beat up right now :/
She's usually very pretty but out Cochin has been bullying her. We are separating them for a week or so and hopefully she'll get her feathers back and the bullying will stop.

Back
Top Bottom