Can you tell me what breed and gender you think these are

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by novalady, May 21, 2012.

1. novalady

novalady Hatching

May 21, 2012
    I am new to having chickens these are about 8 weeks old I have a couple of them that I know are roos because I have caught them crowing. but have not been able to tell what the breed any of them are I have looked at the different breed photos and I think I might have a couple of Red Star but not sure on that. thanks for the help
    [​IMG]
    I think this is a hen what breed?
    [​IMG]
    Chicken 2 I think is a Roo what breed
    [​IMG]
    chicken 3 I do not know either not a very big waddle or comb but from what I read that doesnt always mean anything depending on the breed
    [​IMG]
    Chicken 4 is a Roo he was the first of the bunch to croo I also have a hen that looks like him so I have a pair but do not know what breed they are.
    [​IMG]
    Chicken 5 I think is a hen and maybe a Red Star?
    [​IMG]
    Checken 6 the lighter one I think is a hen also, but do not know breed. It started raining so they all went inside I will try and get photos of the others soon Thanks for the help

2. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chirping

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    Chicken 5 is a Golden sex-link and that chick number 4 looks just like mine and i had the same question on his breed and when i made a thread for him i was told he was a "mottled ancona" or "Exchequer Leghorn" and i belive its the leghorn.... heres a pic of mine! very agressive as he attacks my nephews
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Songster

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Do you have any information about where you got these? Did you get them as chicks or just now, where from, if locally what breeds were available, etc?

1) looks like a dark cornish pullet
    2) no idea, rooster
    3) strange looking rooster, which makes me wonder where you got this assortment of birds...
    4) ancona or exchequer leghorn - I'm not sure the difference but leaning toward leghorn
    5&6) sex-link pullets

4. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    #1 Dark Corinsh
    #2 Roo Might be a Black Cooper Maran
    #3 Roo
    #4 Roo Leghorn
    #5 pullet Gold Star
    #6 Pullet Buff Orpington maybe buff rock

5. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    x2

6. novalady

novalady Hatching

May 21, 2012
    I live in Oklahoma and they have Atwoods stores here that are a farm supply store they sell chicks so my daughter knowing that I love animals and fresh eggs decided that I needed some and bought me 12 chicks and 6 keets . But she did not tell me what kind they were susposed to be , 6 were susposed to be pullets and 6 were straight run. Thanks for the information on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: