1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you tell me what breed you think these chickens are.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeiaLayers5, Nov 9, 2015.

1. LeiaLayers5

LeiaLayers5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    Below I have included some pictures to help show the situation. I got these two pullets from a breeder locally and she had told me they were Cuckoo Marans. I looked up the breed and they looked to match the coloring so I just went with that. It was not until recently when we started to doubt that. About a month ago we started getting green eggs and because we have an EE that had not yet laid, we assumed it was from her. Then Friday evening when I was collecting eggs as usual, we had the assortment shown below. The rounder green egg and then also a mint green egg. We were so confused. To our knowledge the only ones who had not laid yet were the CMs but they should be laying a brown egg of some variety. Saturday morning after watching our EE Furiosa lay her usual pinky-cream egg, I saw Minerva my eldest "CM" climb into box.....I was surprised but I decided to wait and see what got left behind when she was done. When she was done, we had the round green egg shown in the picture below. I knew then that we did not have a maran. I did some research and the only conclusion I could come to, is that our "CM" is maybe actually a Cuckoo Araucana based on comb and crests on head or some blend of that. What do ya'll think?
    [​IMG] The round light green egg in the middle is what the eldest of these two lays. I know this because after some confusion we caught her in the box and watched her lay it.

[​IMG]This shows both of them more of the body, but sorry I could not get full of both, they move too much.

[​IMG] This is Minerva the layer of the round green sage colored egg.

[​IMG]This is Iris, Minerva's sister and younger of the two and has not started laying yet.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  2. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Maiah and daughter dob aug 2, 2017 Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    I agree that it is at least part americuna but could be crossed with a cuckoo marans. Pretty eggs either way. Hopefully someone much wise can help more.

3. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    Araucana or Americauna? I was thinking Araucana but thats a best guess based on my limited knowledge on it.

4. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Maiah and daughter dob aug 2, 2017 Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota

5. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    Well I know if it is a blend and not pure that it is an EE, but I was trying to decipher what type since its definitely a Cuckoo type. I have completely discounted the maran option at this point.

6. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Kinda reminds me of a bar rock pymouth in coloration of the hens and an some kind of easter egger.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're interesting [​IMG]

The white skin does point to Marans ancestry, that's the most common white skinned barred/cuckoo breed.

The muffs and pea combs had to come from somewhere, and again EE or Ameraucana are the most common way to get there.

But then, you've got those cute funky residual crests [​IMG]. With the egg color, it makes me think Crested Cream Legbar, which could also contribute to the barring/cuckoo pattern easily enough.

I don't think they're a simple A x B cross, I'm not sure how that would happen. There's got to be more than two breeds involved. Something like one parent was an F1 olive egger and got bred back to a blue egger, along those lines.

8. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    Yeah I just was not sure if it was an easy answer or complicated as I suspected haha. Either way it keeps life interesting.

9. Chickybok

Chickybok Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hi, we have those breeds here in New Zealand. I think that's a Plymouth Rock, or Barred Rock.

I have Araucanas that lay green eggs just like those. Beautiful they are. I didn't know the Barred Rocks laid green eggs too. Lucky!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's the thing, Rocks don't lay green eggs. Or have beards/muffs. Or pea combs. Or white skin. So while these birds are indeed barred in color, they're not Plymouth Rocks. Jut like not all black dogs are Labradors.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by