Can you tell me what kind of chicken this is???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by southernhen, Jun 28, 2008.

1. southernhen

southernhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Port St. Joe, Florida
    This was an extra rare chicken mc murray sent with my RIR . They also sent a solid black chicken. I have no idea what breed they are except chicken. Also, can you tell if a roo or a hen yet??? sorry he looks rough, guess RIR's been playing with him..... also he is 5 weeks old and smaller than the reds....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
  2. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    It looks like a roo, but have no idea on breed.

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Could be either a Mottled Ancona or a Exchequer Leghorn(if they offer those?). If it is a Leghorn my bets are on it being a hen, none of my excheq roos of similar development phase had such a small comb.

I dunno about the Anconas comb development speed so I cannot really help out there.

Anna

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    May be Ancona although mine didn't have quite as much white but that part varies anyway.

5. southernhen

southernhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Port St. Joe, Florida
    I know he not friendly and doesn't want to be held! Mainly he has black on his back and back of head .

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
  6. jen1204ca

jen1204ca Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Sorry I can't tell you either, I just wanted to suggest that you email the picture back to McMurray and ask them. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by