Can you tell me what kind of chicken this is

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MisMel, Feb 21, 2013.

1. MisMel

MisMel New Egg

Jul 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Looks like a mixed breed. Maybe welsummer/ easter egger??

3. MisMel

MisMel New Egg

Jul 18, 2012
    Nobody seems to know, we found her she had a hurt foot and we even took her to the vet and they were not sure. She has not gotten any bigger and does not lay eggs. Would just like to know what she is (anyway I think it is a she) I have been told she could even be a phesant mix?

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    She looks like a few of my barnyard pullets. She isn't laying yet, because she isn't old enough. She's a chicken though...just a muttley chicken. Nothing wrong with that.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Not a pheasant mix, that's probably due to her 'mixed colors' but that's all chicken genetics and colors.

She seems rather Gamey to me as in american game(aka breed used in fighting). Games can be bred without much regard for color so they can throw quite colorful birds.

it sometimes seem games are one of the most common found/dumped/breeds at shelters. Some probably are accidental escapees while being transported- they can be quite good at escaping if so inclined.

Her comb is not red, which means she is not in laying condition yet. Don't expect eggs from her real soon.. but she will eventually lay. If she's a game, they are often fair layers(don't expect as many eggs from say, a barred rock) and very prone to going broody.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. MisMel

MisMel New Egg

Jul 18, 2012
    She is not the prettiest bird I have, but she is one of the sweetest, thanks for your help![​IMG]

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Glad she found a great home with you! :)

8. MisMel

MisMel New Egg

Jul 18, 2012
    Me too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by