1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you tell me what made these tracks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mom 2em All, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Very close to my coop.

[​IMG]

2. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    im not sure , I used to have a problem with raccoons getting to my chickens until i put my dogs house by the coop so i no there not that but, this is a good site to compare the tracks. http://www.bear-tracker.com/mammals.html

3. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    It looks a lot like a mink print... What did the step pattern look like?

4. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Off hand, I would say coon.
    Maybe a badger?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    it is definitely not a coon, coon has a longer back print and the front print almost has a thumb like appendage. Those are some sort of canine tracks, quite large to be fox, could be a big coyote or likely a domestic dog of some sort. Google coyote tracks and look the the results you can also put in racoon tracks or any animal and pictures of their tracks come up, these are definitely dog tracks. Cat tracks wouldn't have claw marks.

6. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Small dog?

7. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    suburban backyard, fully fenced in the middle of a neighborhood- privacy fence along two and a half sides. Chainlink on gates and one side. Woods at the end of the street.

Prints are too small and clawed to be from my dogs- and the area where the prints were found is further fenced off with a three foot decorative style fencing, to keep my dogs out.

Summerlove- those two prints were by themselves then closer to the decorative fencing I found these- and these could have been made as whatever animal it is came over the 3 ft fence:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these two photos are of the same prints- different angles.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I would say you should take a good look at your fences, if it were a dog it would have had to dig under or find something to jump on to get over, it could have also been a fox, if that is the case they can manage to climb some things and would be able to fit through a smaller hole than a dog to get in. Though fox tracks generally run in a perfectly straight line. Coyote tracks are usually more long and slender/oval shaped whereas dog tracks usually look more circular. Also coyote will have larger front track than rear, this is the case with grey fox as well.

9. akashia26

akashia26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Washington Co. AL
    fox or small dog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by