Can you tell me what sex these are? Partridge Cochins...

chicken_china_mom

Crazy for Cochins
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Tab, Indiana
Ok, I went in and took a long, serious look at all of my birds from Cackle Hatchery today, and well, as far as I can tell I have 1 Splash Cochin roo and 5 pullets (yay!), 3 Barred Cochin roos and 3 Barred pullets, and it seems like maybe I have 3 Silkie roos and one pullet (boo hoo!). As for the Partridge Cochins, I can't really tell. I think I have 2 roos and 4 pullets, but I'm not positive. Can anyone help me figure out what they are? I will post the best pics I could get, cause they did NOT want to still long enough to get their picture taken, lol. Only my Wyandotte roo actually poses and gets excited when he sees the camera. So any guesses would really help. I'm kinda up to my ears in roos already and I'm going to have to rehome a whole bunch. Thanks to everyone that helps me here with this!
big_smile.png

Here is the first pic:
29191_sexing_chicks_may_10th_2009_025.jpg

Pic two:
29191_sexing_chicks_may_10th_2009_026.jpg

And pic # three:
29191_sexing_chicks_may_10th_2009_027.jpg

If you see penciling on the backs and wings, it's a girl
smile.png
Males generally lack the secondary patterns.

BTW, your pics are too small for me to be able to discern anything other than that ther seems to be penciling on the ones in front. Photos that fill the screen allow inspection.

Okay, here are some individuals of the suspicious ones. It was hard to get them to sit still as they are jumpier with the camera in their face than some of my other birds. Here is one:
29191_sexing_chicks_may_10th_2009_007.jpg

Here is another suspicious one:
29191_sexing_chicks_may_10th_2009_013.jpg

And here is another one:
29191_sexing_chicks_may_10th_2009_016.jpg

Any guesses now?

I think I see three roos & three pullets in the first photos. You should be able to tell soon for sure. Little Cochins usually begin to crow very early.

I think in the individuals, the second two look like roo's by the combs... I'm no pro though! still trying to figure out if one of mine is a roo
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom