1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you tell me what sex these are? Partridge Cochins...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken_china_mom, May 10, 2009.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Ok, I went in and took a long, serious look at all of my birds from Cackle Hatchery today, and well, as far as I can tell I have 1 Splash Cochin roo and 5 pullets (yay!), 3 Barred Cochin roos and 3 Barred pullets, and it seems like maybe I have 3 Silkie roos and one pullet (boo hoo!). As for the Partridge Cochins, I can't really tell. I think I have 2 roos and 4 pullets, but I'm not positive. Can anyone help me figure out what they are? I will post the best pics I could get, cause they did NOT want to still long enough to get their picture taken, lol. Only my Wyandotte roo actually poses and gets excited when he sees the camera. So any guesses would really help. I'm kinda up to my ears in roos already and I'm going to have to rehome a whole bunch. Thanks to everyone that helps me here with this! [​IMG]

Here is the first pic:
    [​IMG]

Pic two:
    [​IMG]

And pic # three:
    [​IMG]

2. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

My DD has 4 of those and as best as I can tell her's are all pullets. None of them are feathering in like roos. Her's are also 5 weeks old and came from Murray Mcmurray.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I would guesstimate 3 cockerels in the bunch.

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Individual picks would be better, but I see one cockerel in the first pick.... and cant tell about the others.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you see penciling on the backs and wings, it's a girl [​IMG] Males generally lack the secondary patterns.

BTW, your pics are too small for me to be able to discern anything other than that ther seems to be penciling on the ones in front. Photos that fill the screen allow inspection.

6. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Okay, here are some individuals of the suspicious ones. It was hard to get them to sit still as they are jumpier with the camera in their face than some of my other birds. Here is one:
    [​IMG]

Here is another suspicious one:
    [​IMG]

And here is another one:
    [​IMG]

Any guesses now?

7. calibersway

calibersway Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Roxboro North Carolina
    wow... that's tough, by the comb's i'd say all were cocks...but the coloring they look like pullets....you have a mystery on your hands. lol

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I think I see three roos & three pullets in the first photos. You should be able to tell soon for sure. Little Cochins usually begin to crow very early.

9. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    I think in the individuals, the second two look like roo's by the combs... I'm no pro though! still trying to figure out if one of mine is a roo [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by