1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you tell me what sex you think my silkies are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by indigirl, Mar 2, 2013.

1. indigirl

indigirl New Egg

Mar 2, 2013
    These 2 are 2 months old

This is Honey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is Soy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honey is bigger than Soy, but my guess is that Honey is a hen and Soy may be a rooster? I've never owned silkies before tho so need others opinions :)

2. hunt

hunt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    springfield,tennessee
    looks like soy is a rooster and honey is a hen.The way you can tell a rooster from a hen with silkies is the rooster has a big comb on the top of the head in front of the crest right above the beak.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Give them more time. The hen in my avatar had a comb just like Soy's. I thought she was a rooster for the longest time, and then she grew into her comb and laid an egg. My rooster had a tiny comb, and then it just blossomed over night and he was an obvious dude. What Im saying is Silkies are notoriously hard to sex. As they age the best way to help determine gender is by looking at a combination of attributes: crest (girls will be round, boys will be swept back with longer feathers that stick out here and there-streamers), girls tend to be more squatty, while boys are more upright, and there's the combs too obviously. I can usually tell gender on mine around 4 months, but there are always some who fool me....
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by