1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you tell me what they are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marie_martin, Mar 12, 2007.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I know they are bantams. But I was told they are ruby reds by one person and someone else said they look like nankings or a mix. The photo does not show it but he has more like teal colors in his tail. I was told they are a breeding pair and they seem to want to be beside each other all the time. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Marie

2. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Here is another picture.

[​IMG]

Anyone?????

Marie

3. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I would say Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantams. What I've heard about Nankins is that they are buff or gold in color with a black tail, and a rose comb. I'm not sure if they come in other colors or not, but your birds have a single comb. I'm not sure what a ruby red is, so I can't offer any help there.

4. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I have looked and I think you are right about the BB Reds. But the only picutres I have found they, the roos don't have a beard. Do you know anything about that.

marie

5. TheBigWRanch

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I'm not sure what you are saying. If I have it correct, in the pictures the chickens do not have beards. Yes, that's true OEGB don't have beards, but I don't see a beard on the picture of your chicken either, so I'm not sure what you are asking. Sorry!

6. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well, I may be saying the wrong thing. What is that under his chin?? I know the top of his head is his comb right? What is that under his chin. I looked at the OEB's and did not see that on any of the photos I looked at. I guess mine are a mix breeds???

Marie

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  7. TheBigWRanch

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Are you talking about the red wattles under your chickens chin? If you are, the reason you are seeing OEGB without them is because they are dubbed (cut off) on show birds. Pet OEGB usually still have their comb and wattles attached.

8. TheBigWRanch

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Sorry, we posted at the same time! Just because your chicken still has his wattles does not mean he is mixed breed, just that he was not used for showing.

9. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Oh, wattles. That is too funny. I have goats and one of my goats has wattles, but I did not know chickens had them. too funny:lau So I guess mine are ok then. I got them from a friend who just bought them along with some larger birds and they were getting picked on so she asked if I wanted them. They are so cute. But she said that she was told they were ruby reds, I think she just mis-heard him and he said BB Reds. Sounds very similar. I guess I have a pretty common breed then huh? But they are cute. Are the game birds less friendly?? Is there much difference in game birds and others. Thanks.

Marie

10. TheBigWRanch

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I've heard that Game birds are more flighty, and can go back to living in the wild, if left to free range. One of my OEGB hens was the friendliest birds I ever had, and she followed me everywhere. I have seen no difference between my OEGB and my other breeds of Bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by