1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you tell me why my Cornish Meat bird died?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by libertyfarms, Apr 3, 2016.

1. libertyfarms

libertyfarms New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    I'm new to this, this is the first time I've had chickens etc...

A few days ago my son tripped over a feed bag and landes square on one of my Cornish Meat birds... It flopped around for a little while, threw up and then got up and tried to walk but couldn't very well... Eventually it seemed to be doing better so I thought maybe it was OK...

I wasn't surprised when I saw a bird dead in the coop in the morning... But I was surprised that a second bird died later that afternoon...

When I inspected the bird I found a prominent green mark that looks like a bruise on its hip... (I'll try to upload a picture...)

Anyone seen this before? Would it be safe to eat? Are my other birds in the same coop in danger?

Help!

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Meat birds get big but their bones are no stronger then any other hen. Most likely your birds simply never recovered. I cannot say what cause the other to die, no marks? No you should not eat them. I forget the amount of time considered safe to butcher after death, but you are well past it. Also without knowing exactly what killed the second I wouldn't trust it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by