Can you tell speckled sussex from cream legbar chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smileygreen64, Feb 20, 2017.

1. smileygreen64

smileygreen64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    I just hatched my first cream legbar and speckled sussex chicks. I didn't know what SS chicks looked like until now. I was planning on selling some because I don't need all that I hatched but I can't tell the difference. Is there a defining trait I can look for to tell them apart?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Can you post picks?

3. smileygreen64

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama

I can post some tomorrow. They havent all hatched yet. I didnt want to open the hatcher yet and I couldnt get good pictures through the door.

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Cream legbars should be crested, Speckld sussex are not, but some crests take a while to become obvious. Speckled sussex should have white skin, legbars yellow. Again, not easy to identify in young chicks but should become apparent as they get a little older.

drumstick diva and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    As newly hatched chicks it is next to impossible to tell at a week of age it is easy. The SS will develop a reddish tint they will get "measles" like spots on them.

They will have a very yellow white chest. The crest will start to develop on the Legbars at this same time, they get a small Mohawk.

As far as new hatches go, I use a divider to keep the SS and the Legbars apart. BTW I have no problem telling my white legbars from the SS.

[​IMG]

When you hatch use hardware cloth or plastic crafting type "hardware cloth" to keep the breeds separate. I only put breeds that are easy to tell apart in the same compartment.

Before mixing them either have a band (code) system set up or a toe punch system set up. You will make errors then too, they happen, a band falls off or something. Errors stink.

Good luck,

2 people like this.
  6. smileygreen64

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    Thank you. I will seprate them once I can tell the difference. Normally I do keep them seperate, this was just a blind mistake. I should have looked at some pictures of the Sussex before I put those eggs in the same section of my hatcher. Thanks for the advice.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    That happens to us all..

or we think we will remember what is in each compartment and don't... I call it senioritis.

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    You guys can see the crest on newly hatched chicks?

I need better glasses, I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by