Can You tell Splash from birth?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jewellan, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Jewellan

Jewellan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Reno Nevada
    Hello all, I received three Blue Favaucana from My Pet Chicken. My question is .... can you tell if a chick is going to be Splash from the time it is born. If so isn't it misleading to sell a splash as a blue? Or is a blue still a blue even if it is Splash colored? So far I think I have 2 "Actual Blue" and one "Brown"

These 2 are 7 weeks old tomorrow the front one is clearly NOT blue
    .[​IMG]

Here is a better shot Tyrian, the brown

[​IMG]

And here is good shot of Fiesty ...the blue

[​IMG]

This is Cocoa, she is the newest one and she looks a lot like Tyrian did at a week old

[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. Jewellan

Mar 3, 2014
    Reno Nevada
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  5. Jewellan

Mar 3, 2014
    Reno Nevada
    I know what breed they are. I was just curious to find out if a Splash chick is obviously a splash chick at birth. That is all I was asking. I guess I could try and find a place that I could ..."Try looking it up"....However I thought that was what I was doing by utilizing this sight. I have always found an answer here. I love the community here and often pass the time on Sunday mornings browsing the sight.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am not sure either. Go to that link that Mountain Peeps has provided and start a new thread with these pics and ask this same question. Someone there should be able to help you. :)

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Not always 100%, sometimes the down color can fool you. But since the Blue color does not breed true, most hatcheries sell "Blue" as Blue, Black or Splash since they usually use at least some Blue birds (besides Black and Splash) in a blue breeding program so all three colors can show up.

8. Jewellan

Mar 3, 2014
    Reno Nevada

Hi TwoCrows I typed in "Splash" and this was the thread group that showed up. thought this WAS the right place. Since I already know the breed and gender I didn't opt for that thread group, I guess I could try there, but I am only asking about Splash coloring at birth, not breed or gender. I understand that there are specific areas to go to and I do try to post in the right place but this sight is so big that sometimes it is hard to know where to go.

9. Jewellan

Mar 3, 2014
    Reno Nevada
    Thank you! I am sometimes amazed that chicks coloring can look totally different as adults.....Fun stuff

10. lithiachick

lithiachick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2014
    Only Sunday mornings?? I'm on it daily, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by