Can you tell the difference between the male and female polish crested?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Oxysheagirl, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Oxysheagirl

Oxysheagirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Is this possible with chicks? Thanks in advance, Sheatina

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It depends on the age of the birds. Do you have pictures?

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    It is usually easy to sex polish around 8-9 weeks of age. You can't when they are chicks though

4. LuLu68

LuLu68 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    Kilgore, Tx
    I've got 2 with the same coloring...they were both solid yellow as chicks, but they're different looking b now...ones crested top has rounded ends on feathers, with 1 little pale looking point of comb, and the other has spikey ends on its head, with 2 red horn looking things...looks evil to me...does this mean one is female and other male?

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Chicks cannot be sexed. I mean you can guess, but even for the experienced person there's just nothing to accurately guess on - they haven't developed singular male or female characteristics by that age.

Yes, sounds like you've got a cockerel and a pullet. You'd have to post pics for a definite conformation but the red comb and spiked feathers are classic cockerel signs.

Watch out for the cockerel. They have a tendency toward aggression due to their poor field of vision. They get scared and then they get nasty. Not all will, but certainly some, more than a lot of other breeds.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullet and cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by