Can you tell the gender of teenage chicks by observing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by they'reHISchickens, Jun 19, 2010.

1. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We currently have about 2 dozen various breed Teenagers EE, RIR,Blue Orp and cochin- about 8 weeks old in the same pen. We have been observing them since they hatched and are wondering: Can we really tell the roos from the pullets by watching the roos face-off one another? We picked the RIRs for pullets from the store on the basis of the roo chicks challenging our hands, and so far they still seem pullets.
    Do some of you use this method? How accurate are you?

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    My little hens faced off against each other and chest bumped when they were chicks, and I have the eggs now from them to prove they aren't roosters! With my bantams breeds, the real tip off has been comb color and development. By around four weeks, you could see the little roos getting colored combs while the girls were not. At around 7 weeks, some of those little boys were already crowing. But I think a lot of this is breed specific; it's not quite as easy to tell from comb development with our d'Uccles.

3. anniem

anniem Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    With my first bunch, 4 sex links and 2 EEs, they all act the same. One of the EEs turned out to be a roo, but the EE pullet is probably the most obnoxious and out going bird in the group. If it weren't for the feathering you'd never know the roo was a roo. They are still fairly young, 3 months, but early behavior didn't show anything.
    With my 2nd bunch, 2 speckled sussex/1 EE/1 partridge rock, 1 of the SS turned out to be a boy and he definitely acts different--but not until about 6 weeks old. I wondered if the PR or EE were roos early on but not the SS. Now, he's off on his own, is more adventurous and more physical. He seems to act more boyish than the others.
    It has made me wonder if different breeds show varying degrees of roo/pullet behavior early on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by