Can you tell the gender of these bantams?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Redhead Hen, May 14, 2009.

1. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    They may be too young. I got the Millie Fleur d'Uccle and the Sebright on April 16th from TSC. I am guessing they are about a month old now. The d'Uccle is showing some pinking on the comb and waddles. Does this mean Frenchie is a boy? As far as the Sebright goes, the comb is wide and dark - no signs of waddles. Boy or girl? Also, I totally understand if they are too young to sex! [​IMG] I have noticed that Frenchie instigates a lot of chest bumping and pecking on Tiny (the Sebright) - nothing serious though. Funny thing - he leaves Rocky the Silkie alone! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The following pic was taken May 4th. It's a better shot of the comb.
    [​IMG]

Now we have pics of Rocky the Silkie. We got Rocky on Easter and was told he/she was about 3 days old. So, Rocky is 5wks old now. The pics don't do him justice on his color. He has partridge coloring with an undertow of blue fluff. I am referring to him as a him because it seems streamers are developing on the top of his head. Anyone know if I have a girl or boy? I have heard that Silkies are hard to sex until they are at least 5 mos old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, I understand if they are too young. And I also understand that Bantams are harder to sex. Thanks for looking and guessing! [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Rocky is a girl, and those aren't streamers--her crest feathers are growing in.

3. Redhead Hen

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Quote:Oh! Rocky IS a girl?! Goody! I have read that they are great broodies and that would be great since I don't have a incubator! My husband still swears Rocky is a boy. Can I ask how you know? (Besides being a breeder and all! [​IMG] ) I'd like to know - is it because of the comb is pretty much non-existent?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Comb has nothing to do with it--the plumage is different on male partridges than on females.

5. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Based on how my D'uccles look at 4 1/2 weeks (I have 1 girl and 1 boy) I'd say Frenchie is definitely a boy....

Want another roo? You can have mine![​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. Redhead Hen

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Anyone have any guesses on Tiny the Sebright?

7. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Frenchie is a cutie. I'd like to see his picture now... does he change fast? I promised hubby that any roos were leaving... I am so sad that my Duke Man has to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by