1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you tell the sex of a baby chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cooper38, Apr 25, 2011.

1. cooper38

cooper38 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Deep Gap, NC
    As we getting our 6 red sex link chicks at TRS last week, a woman was looking at the chick in the straight run batch. She ask the guy working there if she got 6 how would she know she would not get all roosters, and he said he could tell when he got them. Is he blowing smoke or can you tell the sex of a 4 day old chick?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Depends on the breed. Barred Rocks are easy to tell at hatch most of the time. If he's talking about some old farmers sexing tale, then he's blowing smoke.

3. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Red Sex Links are sexed at birth. Because of one reason. There color. A RIR and a Delaware that have special genitics are crossed and all the males come out white and the femlaes come out a reddish brownish tint. So as long as there not white she will get 100% ALL HENS.

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:You have to have a male RIR and female Delaware though... There is a post somewhere around here about sex-linking...

Also, speckled hen... which has the spot on the head and does it work the same for Dominiques?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:Thank you!! And bookmarked! I am hatching out some, and this will be very helpful!

7. cooper38

cooper38 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Deep Gap, NC
    The sex linked birds was in a different tub. she was refering to the non sex linked chicks. I believe he was blowing smoke, but I am not a expert and did not stay in a holiday inn.[​IMG] Growing up when we needed more chickens grandpaw would let a hen hatch some out. The roosters went in the pot and the hens went to the hen house. There was no need to determin the sex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by