can you tell the sex of a chic by its wing feathers????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wnthunting, Sep 1, 2011.

1. wnthunting

wnthunting Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    ny
    I have heard that you can tell the sex of a baby chic by its wing feathers... is this true? If yes ... how??? Please post pics if possible [​IMG] thank you.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Well it only works with chicks that are bred for it. However here is an example-

Pullet-

Cockerel-

Only works with chicks 1-3 days old.

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    By the way those are the quills of the chick. Hope that helps.

4. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    It depends on the breed. Both my Speckled Sussex had different wing feathering, I knew for sure one was a rooster. Nope, I have 2 pullets. I've been told by Sussex breeders you can't feather sex Sussex. My Easter Eggers & Silver-laced Wyandottes were feather sexed and they are pullets.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    They also must be no older than a few day's old 3 at the most, I have done it with many breeds so it doesn't nessesarily have to be breed specific.

6. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Just curious but what breeds have you done it with? I am trying to sex some chicks right now! lol

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    All of the Plymouth rock varieties and it works very well on Cornish and cornish X, I have also done it successfully on RIR and Brahamas.

8. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Quote:When you say you have done it "successfully" - are you able to track how accurate you are can predict the sex? Do you think you get close to 90%? Just wondering, I think it's great that you have had success with the method. [​IMG]

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sure........... I band them after ID'ing them and track them to see if it worked and it does well over 90%. I have done it for some other folks as well and they were very happy with the results and have been doing it as part of their flock management program.

10. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Wow - that's great! Glad to hear it works so well for you. Sounds like it's a skill worth developing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by