Can you tell the sex of Embden hatchlings by color?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sunny Side Up, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Metzer's website says that you should be able to tell the sex of Embden hatchlings by color, that the grey fluff on the females are darker than the males. http://www.metzerfarms.com/EmbdenGeese.cfm?Breed=Embden&BirdType=Goose&ID=E&CustID=38385

Has
    anyone taken notice of their goslings and found this to be true?

And if so, can you help me determine the sexes of these goslings by their color? I have an idea, I want to see what others think. By the way, they were all hatched by bantam hens, it's quite remarkable! And these chicken Mamas are doing a fantastic job of mothering their big unusual babes. Today it was raining and both hens had their goslings tucked up under their wings. The Dutch bantam managed to completely cover her baby. The other mixed-breed hen had an easier time covering her two, but one of them had its head & neck poking up between her wing & back, it looked like a periscope, it was so funny!

Here is Biscuit & her two:
    [​IMG]

And Chiquita with hers, it is also smaller than the other two:
    [​IMG]

What do you think they are?

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Well, I don't raise embdens, but just based on those two pictures and Metzer's directions I'd say you appear to have two males in the first picture and a female in the second. You could always just vent sex them if you want to be sure.

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Pictures can be deceptive but I agree with Olive Hill based on the above pictures. Look yourself at them together and see if there's an obvious difference in the down. The darker being the female.

Pete [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I agree, I have 1 emden drake and when he was a gosling the gray was very light, I'd say you have 2 boys and a girl, congratulations!!

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Thank you Miss Lydia, that is what I was hoping to hear, confirmation from actual experience. Has anyone else found what Metzer's site to be true?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by